Old April 19th 04, 01:14 PM
Ready Kilowatt

Default Radio Conversion

Wouldn't that be illegal?

"WA3MOJ" wrote in message
Hi all, I'm looking for a good reference manual, pdf file, or web site's

that
will assist me in converting used UHF gear to operate on 11 meters. I'm

finding
there is a substantial market for such gear and I'll need some references

for
various solid state and tube conversions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

WA3MOJ

Old April 19th 04, 06:51 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:14:37 GMT, "Ready Kilowatt"
wrote:
Wouldn't that be illegal?

Hi OM,

Yes it would. It is against the law to sell Transmitters that are not
type-accepted for the band they are intended.

On the other hand, the Amateur radio service is the ONLY exception to
the rule. We CAN design, build, and operate non type-accepted gear.

On the third hand, the 11 Meter band is not Amateur radio service.
Even tho' we can work there, we must abide by all rules and
regulations for that service (all restrictions apply in spite of our
"privileges").

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old April 19th 04, 07:11 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Richard Clark wrote:
Wouldn't that be illegal?

Hi OM,

Yes it would. It is against the law to sell Transmitters that are not
type-accepted for the band they are intended.

Quite right. Converting existing equipment to 11-meter use would
probably require individual certification of every unique piece or
type. Sure sounds expensive.

Issue 2: external power amplifiers are not allowed in the 11-meter
band... conversion of higher-powered UHF amps would not be legal.

Issue 3: equipment originally designed for UHF operation (1 meter and
shorter wavelengths) seems to me to be a less-than-wonderful choice
for conversion to 11-meter operation.

Issue 4: there's plenty of cheap 11-meter gear already on the market
(both legal-type-certificated, and outside-the-pale). Doesn't seem
like there'd be much of a [legal] market for converted UHF gear.

All in all, this idea sounds like a great way to lose lots of money,
and risk big fines and the loss of an amateur-radio license. As folks
may have noted, the FCC has recently raised their level of enforcement
against companies and individuals who have been playing loose-and-easy
with the rules about 11-meter operation and equipment sales.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old April 19th 04, 08:46 PM
Scott Dorsey

Richard Clark wrote:

Yes it would. It is against the law to sell Transmitters that are not
type-accepted for the band they are intended.

On the other hand, the Amateur radio service is the ONLY exception to
the rule. We CAN design, build, and operate non type-accepted gear.

No, the experimental service is also available for people who want to
run non-type-accepted equipment.

I _think_ there might still be a provision under Part 73 to allow broadcast
stations to operate non-type accepted transmitters under certain circumstances
if they can provide measurements that the equipment meets the standards of
the type requirement, and they affix a label to the equipment. I seem to
recall that it only applies to equipment built by the station itself. This
may have been removed from the rule book since I took my First Phone test.

On the third hand, the 11 Meter band is not Amateur radio service.
Even tho' we can work there, we must abide by all rules and
regulations for that service (all restrictions apply in spite of our
"privileges").

11M is a funny thing. It's not really one thing and it's not really another.
--scott

Old April 19th 04, 10:31 PM
Robert Casey

Richard Clark wrote:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:14:37 GMT, "Ready Kilowatt"
wrote:

Wouldn't that be illegal?

It would violate various laws of physics (really major mods are
required) as well
as FCC rules.....

Hi OM,

Yes it would. It is against the law to sell Transmitters that are not
type-accepted for the band they are intended.

On the other hand, the Amateur radio service is the ONLY exception to
the rule. We CAN design, build, and operate non type-accepted gear.

I think the rules say "no more than 5 (or is it 10) copies of the same
design per year.
Manufacturers who want to make more than that *do* have to get
certificated. That's
what the FCC calls "type acceptance" nowadays.....

On the third hand, the 11 Meter band is not Amateur radio service.
Even tho' we can work there, we must abide by all rules and
regulations for that service (all restrictions apply in spite of our
"privileges").

On CB, hams are just like other civilians.

Old April 19th 04, 10:34 PM
Robert Casey

11M is a funny thing. It's not really one thing and it's not really another.
--scott

Well, there are several different allocations there. There's the
infamous CB band, and various
forest ranger, mil and other such where the "freebanders" operate
illegally.