Old June 28th 04, 04:29 PM
Ringo Langly

Default HAM Radio equipment suggestions

Hi all,

I've been studying for my Ham license over the last week, and if all
goes well I'll be licensed in a few weekends with any luck So now
the big step -- which radio to go with.

As I said, I'm a total rookie to the Ham radio world, so I have no
idea what I'm looking for. I've just started reading-up on
frequencies, so I'd like to find something that'll handle a majority
of (if not all) the frequencies I'll be licened to use. Also I'd love
a baseunit with PC software that'll allow me to control the radio via
my computer. This isn't a must, but it'd be nice to have.

Also what antenna would you guys suggest? I live in the country, so
I'm unrestricted on what kind of antenna I deploy. Also since I live
kinda far out I'd like to have a radio powerful enough and antenna
high enough to reach the larger cities around me (15-20 miles away as
the crow flies).

Pricerange is $200-$400, but I can go abit more if needed. I want to
buy something with TONS of stuff I have no clue about so I can learn

My future goals are to eventually setup an IRLP repeater since I do
have broadband, plus a good friend of mine lives some 1500 miles away
and there's an IRLP repeater not far from him. Also I'd love to give
back to the local HAM group (what little of a group there is anyway).
I also ran across this guy's website -
http://www.gravitywell.org/index.htm - and I'd love to get a rig going
like his.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions, and take care --

- Ringo -
Old June 28th 04, 05:44 PM
Da Shadow

Books to read:
All around general Ham Radio
Ham Radio For Dummies By Ward Silver ISBN 0-7645-5987-7
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...764559877.html

For FM Repeaters:
FM101x BY Rod Dinkins AC6V URL:
http://ac6v.com/FM101.htm

For DXing:
The Complete DXer By Bob Locher W9KNI

DX101x By Rod Dinkins AC6V
http://ac6v.com/DXSAMPLE.htm

Should answer most questions

An alternative to IRLP is EchoLink (computer to computer for Hams) see URL:
http://www.echolink.org/

Ham radio megasites
ARRL http://www.arrl.org/

700 Amateur Radio Topics at URL:
http://ac6v.com/

Welcome to Amateur Radio and Good luck
--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows
om...

Old June 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Thierry

Hi,
Welcome in the world of ham radio! ;-)

Here are some useful tips,
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/menu-qsl.htm
mainly about antennas, how to select a transceiver, but all is
interesting...µ

73
Thierry, ON4SKY

Old June 29th 04, 03:10 PM
Bob Miller

On 28 Jun 2004 08:29:07 -0700, (Ringo Langly) wrote:

[...]

Your most efficient buy would be an Icom 706 mk11g or Yaesu 857d. You
don't say what bands you will be licensed for -- I'm assuming it'll be
vhf/uhf. These rigs will give you 6m/2m/70cm, plus the hf bands, and
every popular transmitting mode, for about $7-800, plus the cost of a
power supply. Your $2-400 will get you no more than an FM-only rig for
one or two vhf bands, and you'll still need a power supply.

With the all-mode rigs, you would be able to do ssb & cw, station to
station contacts -- pretty exciting stuff, compared to simply trying
to hit some FM repeater, which is sorta like shooting fish in a
barrel, as radio things go.

Have fun...

bob
k5qwg