Old August 7th 04, 09:21 AM
mike

Default Data Precision frequency counter 5740 question

R C wrote:
Hello. I picked up a frequency counter cheap at a hamfest a couple of weeks
ago. Playing with the thing, I've found several shortcomings and am
wondering if it's broken or just operator error.

The period measurement seems to work just fine over the first three ranges,
but not the forth (10 sec gate time.) The frequency measurement just counts
up till it hits overflow.

Yes it does.
That's what overflow means.

It works from at least 1KHz-2MHz, but not at 4
MHz.

Is it worth trying to fix? It looks like a manual for the thing will cost at
least twice what I paid for the unit itself. Or am I better off scrapping it
for parts?

What does it NOT do that you need to do?
If the answer is "nothing", it ain't broke.
If the answer is "anything else", it still ain't broke.

Thanks,
R C

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

Old August 7th 04, 04:46 PM
R C

"mike" wrote in message ...
R C wrote:
Hello. I picked up a frequency counter cheap at a hamfest a couple of

weeks
ago. Playing with the thing, I've found several shortcomings and am
wondering if it's broken or just operator error.
The period measurement seems to work just fine over the first three

ranges,
but not the forth (10 sec gate time.) The frequency measurement just

counts
up till it hits overflow.

Yes it does.
That's what overflow means.

I kind of expected a direct frequency readout. X many cycles per gate time.
This
just counts and counts. Then again, I don't have a manual.. but there aren't
exactly
a lot of controls.

It works from at least 1KHz-2MHz, but not at 4
MHz.

Is it worth trying to fix? It looks like a manual for the thing will

cost at
least twice what I paid for the unit itself. Or am I better off

scrapping it
for parts?

What does it NOT do that you need to do?
If the answer is "nothing", it ain't broke.
If the answer is "anything else", it still ain't broke.

Well.. Something better than 2 mhz, I think. I was hoping this was a simple
problem; if not, it's simple enough to salvage the LED display and counters
and build a new one out of an AVR or PIC. I think the rated speed is around
100 MHz for this unit, which is why I'm suprised it doesn't work at 4.

Thanks,
R C
KG4MVB