Old September 29th 04, 05:08 AM
Jacques Paquin

Default Kenwood TM-V7A crossband repeat and remote control?

I have a Kenwood TM-V7A that I have used for crossband repeat with my
Radioshack TX-420 around the yard.

I just started playing with the dtmf remote control feature of the
Kenwood but have not figured out how to do that along with crossband
repeat. I can send the dtmf to start repeating (C) but nothing is sent
when I key up the uhf link from the ht to the moble. Neither is anything
sent out on UHF to the mobile when input is heard on the VHF band.

What am I doing wrong? I'd like to use crossband repeat but not be
limited to which VHF repeater I've chosen. I'd like to be able to
crossband *and* remote control.

Can anyone explain how to do this (very slowly)?

jacques
Old October 4th 05, 06:22 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Paquin
I have a Kenwood TM-V7A that I have used for crossband repeat with my
Radioshack TX-420 around the yard.

I just started playing with the dtmf remote control feature of the
Kenwood but have not figured out how to do that along with crossband
repeat. I can send the dtmf to start repeating (C) but nothing is sent
when I key up the uhf link from the ht to the moble. Neither is anything
sent out on UHF to the mobile when input is heard on the VHF band.

What am I doing wrong? I'd like to use crossband repeat but not be
limited to which VHF repeater I've chosen. I'd like to be able to
crossband *and* remote control.

Can anyone explain how to do this (very slowly)?

jacques

Well first.. to place the TM-V7A in cross-band repeat there are a few setup things you have to do first... Also the (C) command that your thinking of to place the tm-v7a is incorrect to some degree. Kenwood has a mode that allows 2 kenwoods to talk to each other.. in the book this is mentioned as Remote Control. Your radio shack hand held will not do this.. But you can place the TM-V7A in cross band and then use it around your house..

To setup the TM-V7A for cross band you need to save a PM memory slot with the freq. setting that you want to use.. note that I would advise using tone decode. Ok once you have the freq.s entered and your tones set.. and you have tested that one band works through the repeater and the other direct with your hand held.

Next.. set the PTT on the band you want to repeat too. then press the little button between the 2 volume control nobs.(control select) you will see ctrl on one side and PTT on the other.. the ctrl need to be on the side that the portable is going to use.

Once this is done.. save this into a PM slot (1-4) to do this you would press (F) function then PM then select one of the 4 blinking hot keys.

Once saved then recall it.. by pressing PM then the hot key (1-4) that you save it in..

now we can place it into cross band repeat. to do this.. power the unit off.. press the LEFT volume control and hold it in while you turn it back on..

When the TM-V7A comes back up.. you should see.. A blinking PTT and CTRL on the other side.. and your in..!! it is now in Cross-band repeat.

to take it out of this mode.. power the unit off.. press the LEFT volume control and hold it in while you turn it back on..

hope this helps..

KE7BBS