Old October 11th 04, 08:36 PM
Annette & LJ Dumas

Default 33 & 23 cm equipment - US Bands

Greetings.

I'm looking into getting active on these bands; unfortunately, my eyesight
won't allow for working with SMCs or other small components, and building my
own transverter just isn't practical at the present.

Anyone know any suppliers carrying this sort of gear?

TIA & 73

Joe
'Temporary' Appliance Operator - I hope

Old October 16th 04, 11:12 PM
Fred McKenzie

Anyone know any suppliers carrying this sort of gear?

Joe-

Assuming you are thinking SSB or CW, transverters will most likely be the
answer. You will also need a basic rig to connect the transverters to.

One somewhat sophisticated rig that is designed for use with transverters, is
the Kenwood TS-2000. (The TS-2000X comes with 1200 MHz built-in.) Kenwood may
also supply the transverters, but I'm not sure about that.

The same may be true for other top-of-the-line rigs. Of course they can get a
bit pricey, but you don't have much choice if building your own is out of the
question.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old October 21st 04, 03:03 AM
Fred McKenzie

Assuming you are thinking SSB or CW, transverters will most likely be the
answer. You will also need a basic rig to connect the transverters to.

Thanx; that's the answer I was afraid I'd get!

Joe-

My comments were based limited experience, and knowing that the TS-2000 had
some neat features for use with transverters. I was actually hoping someone
would be sufficiently "tweaked" to jump in and propose a less complicated,
cheaper solution.

I suspect you can do a little research and find other companies that provide
related equipment. One that comes to mind is California Microwave. Also,
there may be some older Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu gear that lend themselves for
use with transverters. Such gear, along with compatible transverters, may be
available used for much less than new gear would cost.

To get a better understanding of the techniques involved, look for an ARRL book
on UHF and Microwaves. There, you may find the answers you need.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old October 21st 04, 05:30 AM
Hank Oredson

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/