Old October 12th 04, 11:36 AM
Pierre

Default Battery charger and voltage converter

Greetings..

.... I plan to use a battery charger in Europe (220V 50 Hz). I will
have a Radio Shack 273-1413 (Canadian model) foreign travel voltage
converter.

However, I see on the back of that device that it should not be used
with a battery charger.

What is the reason for this?

Thanks de F/VE2PID
Old October 12th 04, 02:02 PM
Murray

They won't work with inductive loads - the transformer in the charger,
in this case.
Murray vk4aok

Old October 12th 04, 02:53 PM
K7MEM

Pierre wrote:

Greetings..

... I plan to use a battery charger in Europe (220V 50 Hz). I will
have a Radio Shack 273-1413 (Canadian model) foreign travel voltage
converter.

However, I see on the back of that device that it should not be used
with a battery charger.

What is the reason for this?

Thanks de F/VE2PID

I spent 3 years in Germany and never found those travel converters
of much use. We very simply used a 220/110 transformer. They are
pretty cheap to get, over there, but you wouldn't want to be carrying
one of these things in your suitcase. The 50/60 cycle thing usually
doesn't bother anything but clocks that use the line frequency. Even
then some of them have jumpers to adjust things. I ran my whole station
off of one big transformer.

We mostly bought our transformers used. There was always a brisk trade
of these thing between people coming and going.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.150m.com