Old November 4th 04, 12:59 AM
Larry Gagnon

Default Heil microphone driving IC-735?

I recently purchased a slightly used Heil Goldline GM-5 microphone,
attempting to use it with an ICOM 735 transceiver. I have read Heil's
web page about the Icom 735 -15dB down on its internal microphone
preamplifier compared to many other radios.

I can only get the GM-5 to drive my IC-735 effectively if the MIC GAIN is
100% open and the COMP LEVEL is up as HIGH as possible. I am getting very
good audio reports compared to the default ICOM HM-12 handheld microphone,
but the Heil GM-5 is not driving the rig very hard and power output is
quite reduced compared to the HM-12 mic. Has anyone out there had a
similar experience and if so any suggestions on what I might do to
improve the driving ability of either the rig or the Heil GM-5?

Larry Gagnon VE7EA

--
==================================
to send direct email remove "fake"

Old November 4th 04, 03:27 PM
Don M.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:59:25 -0800, Larry Gagnon
wrote:

I recently purchased a slightly used Heil Goldline GM-5 microphone,
attempting to use it with an ICOM 735 transceiver. I have read Heil's
web page about the Icom 735 -15dB down on its internal microphone
preamplifier compared to many other radios.

I can only get the GM-5 to drive my IC-735 effectively if the MIC GAIN is
100% open and the COMP LEVEL is up as HIGH as possible. I am getting very
good audio reports compared to the default ICOM HM-12 handheld microphone,
but the Heil GM-5 is not driving the rig very hard and power output is
quite reduced compared to the HM-12 mic. Has anyone out there had a
similar experience and if so any suggestions on what I might do to
improve the driving ability of either the rig or the Heil GM-5?

Larry Gagnon VE7EA

You might want to try a W2IHY audio equalizer found at
W2IHY.com Works great for me

Don KK6J

Old November 4th 04, 03:40 PM
Hamguy

Heil makes an inline preamp specifically for your problem.
Maybe snoop around their website a little.
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/default.htm

news

Old November 4th 04, 04:18 PM
Keith V

That preamp (which never worked real well) has been out of production for a
long time. The Goldline mic. was never designed for the older Icoms. I
think you're honked. Drop a line to Bob Heil at Heil.com. He'll give you
the straight skinny. I believe there is actually a lot of valuable
information you might want to look at, on his website www.heilsound.com

Van,
KL7TDZ