RadioBanter

-   -   Help measuring freq of 2m rig? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/19759-help-measuring-freq-2m-rig.html)

Photoman November 25th 04 03:58 PM

It's good to see that you worked the problem out yourself. I'm amazed that
your signal made it through the cavities of the local repeater. Sound like
the owner needs to do some duplexer tuning or get another set.
Congratulations on solving your problem.
Ken
KC4IH

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message

"nitespark" wrote in message

Ken Bessler wrote:

All these tests were done with a known good antenna
& new CQ-102 coax. Rig is a 1 year old Kenwood
TM-271A. All tests were done at an indicated 68 w
which is about normal for hi power from this rig.

I'll refrain from using the Pratt repeater until this is
fixed.

My question is this - have I done enough to assume
that the problem is not on my end? Sending in my
rig for service monitor testing would be difficult & a
genuine pain in the neck.

Ken KG0WX

The only way to determine your rigs frequency would be to put it on a
service monitor or at the least, a frequency counter.

I have 3 service monitors and would be glad to check your rig free of
charge if you pay postage both ways.

My test equipment is calibrated to an HP GPS frequency standard so I can
give you a pretty accurate measurement.

73
Andy
WD4KDN

I resolved the question with testing. I had 5 other stations
all over the county try the same trick - I.E. transmitting 15kc
below the input to the N0KTA repeater. All 5 were able to
make the repeater key up easily.

That plus the fact that my TM-271A comes standard with a
TXCO and the simplex tests I've done has convinced me that
it's NOT my rig.

I contacted N0KTA but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Thanks to all for the advice & help.

73's de Ken KG0WX

Ralph Mowery November 25th 04 04:34 PM

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message
I live about 15 miles from the N0KTA 146.715
repeater. I like to talk to the 146.700 repeater in
Pratt, KS (about 95 miles).

Problem is that when I transmit on 146.100 for
the Pratt machine, I inadvertantly also key up the
146.715 machine.

At first I suspected my transmitter was off freq so
I tested 3 other repeaters - 145.370 at 1/2 mile
away, 146.895 at 1 mile away and 146.850 at
3 miles away. On all three tests, I could key up
those machines as long as I was +/- LESS than 15
khz from the correct input freq. On all 3 when I
went to the next channel (15 khz spacing) up or
down, I could not key up the machine.

Chances are there is nothing wrong with either system. Operating 15 kcs is
really too close for repeaters. Many of them are converted comercial rigs
and the selectivity is not that good in many cases as they were designed for
30 KC spacings.

When the repeater keys up and you are 15 kc away from it , will it break the
squelch of your rig ?

Ralph Mowery November 25th 04 04:39 PM

Learn how duplexers work before you open your mouth and say something wrong.
They do not have very much selectivity for very near frequencies. That is
while they have notches around 80 to 120 db to keep the receiver and
transmiters seperated, the first 100 kc or more has only a few db of
selectivity.

Ken Bessler November 25th 04 05:46 PM

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
Chances are there is nothing wrong with either system. Operating 15 kcs
is

really too close for repeaters. Many of them are converted comercial rigs
and the selectivity is not that good in many cases as they were designed
for
30 KC spacings.

When the repeater keys up and you are 15 kc away from it , will it break
the
squelch of your rig ?

No. As a matter of fact, I tried to hear several VERY close
repeaters when +/- 15kc of their outputs. I heard none of them.

You're telling me a repeater is *supposed* to be *less*
selective than a Kenwood TM-271A?

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving.

73's es gd trky de Ken KG0WX