Old November 6th 14, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Very Low Power Preamp

In article , rickman wrote:

I don't follow on this. How does a low output impedance drive the
current drain?

Well, the current to pull up the output against the low impedance has
to come from somewhere! It has to accounted for as part of the budget.

Consider the current used only by the amp, not the load.

You might want to experiment with using a one- or two-stage
common-drain amplifier using "electrometer grade" JFETs such as the
2N4117-2N4119 family (obsolete, but still available if you hunt around
a bit). They have extremely low gate leakage (i.e. very high input
impedance). Even with 0 volts on the gate (relative to source) they
have a low Idss, and of course you can add a resistor between source
and ground and reduce the standing current as low as you want.

Old November 7th 14, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, rickman wrote:

On 11/6/2014 10:04 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 11/5/2014 1:29 PM, rickman wrote:
On 11/4/2014 9:42 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 11/4/2014 6:29 PM, rickman wrote:
I am working on a project for receiving a very narrow bandwidth signal
at 60 kHz. One of the design goals is to keep the power consumption to
an absolute minimum. I'm trying to figure out how to run a
pre-amplifier on less than 100 uW. So far I have found nothing. Any
suggestions?

I agree with Jim. We need many more specifics to provide a meaningful
answer. There are a lot of micropower opamps out there now, but the
devil is in the details.

I've only found one detail that is giving me the devil. That is the
bandwidth. The signal is 60 kHz. I can't think of any other issues I
would have with any amp capable of amplifying this signal with a low
power level. What more info do you feel is needed? Can you ask
questions? Better yet, just point me to any amp that will meet my two
stated requirements!

The other posts you made had the info - things like impedance and gain
are important, as is frequency of operation (but we already know that).

A couple of things to consider, however. The higher the impedance, the
more susceptible it will be to ambient noise pickup. You're starting
with a very small signal and may need to add shielding to limit external
noise.

The other problem is you're asking for low impedance output. Low
impedance limits noise pickup, but increases current drain. So how low
of an impedance do you want?

I don't follow on this. How does a low output impedance drive the current
drain?

If you use a large resister in the collector, you'll get high impedance
output. But load it down with a low impedance, and there won't be a proper transfer of the
signal.

So you use a low value collector resistor, current goes up because it
pushes more current through the device, but you get your lower impedance.

I thought generally people wanted more current into preamps, because that
helped them in handling strong signals. So take a look at WWVB
preamps/receivers from the seventies. Certainly they'd be using bipolar
transistors, but one might think they might be reasonably low current. On
the other hand, I can't remember why you need low current for this, and
something like a WWVB receiver usually doesn't need to fuss about being
extra low current. So I suspect those projects never tried to be
ultra-low current.

My Casio Waveceptor watch does, but I have no idea what kind of circuitry
is in there, and even if I opened the watch, I bet it would be difficult
to trace.

On the other hand, I have a Radio Shack "atomic clock" that runs for years
on one AAA or AA battery, so someone figured out how to receive WWVB with
low current and low voltage. But then, the WWVB front end is likely a
module, which is another way to solve the problem, just buy a module, or
strip one out of an existing clock. But again, I can't remember why you
are needing this, so I suspect there's some reason why these options
aren't being used.

Is a preamp really going to be low current compared to the later
circuitry's needs? Once you add the rest, maybe it's not worth pursuing
ultra-low current for the preamp.

Michael
Old November 7th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 11/6/2014 11:45 AM, rickman wrote:
[...]

There are op amps with very high (in the gigaohm range) input impedance
and pretty low quiescent current drain. How much it draws during use
will be greatly dependent on the output current required, which
obviously depends on output voltage and impedance.

Consider the current used only by the amp, not the load.

I don't have time right now, but later today I'll look through some of
my data sheets on op amps to see what I can find.

Thanks.

Total current is not just dependent on output current; it also is
affected by the design of the chip. Op amps are not just single
transistor devices; a lower output impedance also means more current to
drive the output stage, which affects other components. So even if you
have a high impedance load, the lower the output impedance of the op amp
(i.e. the more current it can source/sink at a specific supply voltage),
the more overall current the op amp will draw.

With that said, I did some looking around (sorry for not getting back to
you quicker - yesterday was pretty busy). Depending on your needs,
there are hundreds you can choose from. I might recommend you check out
http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors...mps/_/N-6j73m/
.. You can pick and choose the parameters you want. Another one I've
used is http://www.newark.com/operational-amplifiers.

Between the two I found several hundred possibilities, but you know the
details of what you want better than I do, so rather than guess at what
you might want, I think this would be better. It should give you a start.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old November 16th 14, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.design

On 11/4/2014 6:29 PM, rickman wrote:
I am working on a project for receiving a very narrow bandwidth signal
at 60 kHz. One of the design goals is to keep the power consumption to
an absolute minimum. I'm trying to figure out how to run a
pre-amplifier on less than 100 uW. So far I have found nothing. Any
suggestions?

I had found one op amp that might get me in the ballpark of power
consumption and I did some spice simulation on it. The current ends up
being in the 50 uA range which is more than I would like and the gain is
only around 100 before the bandwidth limits are felt which is less than
I would like. At 50 uA there is not the power to add a second stage.

Instead I was looking at some JFETs and found one I like, BF862 made by
NXP. I can construct a stage that gives a gain of 40 dB at only a
handful of uA. But when I try to cascade a second stage I have trouble.

The input capacitance is stated in the data sheet to be in the range of
10 pF. If I add a 10 pF cap to the output of the first stage I get
close to 40 dB of gain at the frequency of interest, 60 kHz. But when a
second stage is added with capacitive coupling the gain of the first
stage drops to 19 dB at 60 kHz while maintaining 40 dB at 1 kHz.

As a simple test, I put a capacitor in series with the gate and drove it
from a voltage source. I found the gate was at about half the voltage
of the voltage source when the capacitor was 300 pF. That says to me
the JFET model has 300 pF of capacitance. That just doesn't sound right.

I have seen other oddities from trying to drive the input of this part.
I have it biased correctly so the gate is not conducting. Any
suggestions? I am including the LTspice files below. I found one
thread on an audio web site where someone "improved" the model file.

Model file - spice_BF862.prm - put in "Simulations" directory below
schematic location
*******************
* BF862 SPICE MODEL MARCH 2007 NXP SEMICONDUCTORS
* ENVELOPE SOT23
* JBF862: 1, Drain, 2,Gate, 3,Source
Ld 1 4 L= 1.1nH
Ls 3 6 L= 1.25nH
Lg 2 5 L= 0.78nH
Rg 5 7 R= 0.535 Ohm
Cds 1 3 C= 0.0001pF
Cgs 2 3 C= 1.05pF
Cgd 1 2 C= 0.201pF
Co 4 6 C= 0.35092pF
JBF862 model parameters:
..model JBF862 NJF(Beta=47.800E-3 Betatce=-.5 Rd=.8 Rs=7.5000
Lambda=37.300E-3 Vto=-.57093
+ Vtotc=-2.0000E-3 Is=424.60E-12 Isr=2.995p N=1 Nr=2 Xti=3 Alpha=-1.0000E-3
+ Vk=59.97 Cgd=7.4002E-12 M=.6015 Pb=.5 Fc=.5 Cgs=8.2890E-12 Kf=87.5E-18
+ Af=1)
ENDS BF862

Schematic file - LowPowerPreAmp_JFET.asc
*******************
Version 4
SHEET 1 1340 680
WIRE 32 -128 -16 -128
WIRE 128 -128 32 -128
WIRE 368 -128 368 -160
WIRE 1008 -128 1008 -160
WIRE 128 -112 128 -128
WIRE -16 -96 -16 -128
WIRE -16 0 -16 -16
WIRE 128 0 128 -48
WIRE 368 0 368 -48
WIRE 416 0 368 0
WIRE 448 0 416 0
WIRE 608 0 512 0
WIRE 768 0 608 0
WIRE 1008 0 1008 -48
WIRE 1152 0 1008 0
WIRE 1264 0 1152 0
WIRE 368 32 368 0
WIRE 1008 32 1008 0
WIRE 1264 48 1264 0
WIRE 240 96 -16 96
WIRE 320 96 240 96
WIRE 768 96 768 0
WIRE 832 96 768 96
WIRE 960 96 832 96
WIRE 240 144 240 96
WIRE 368 144 368 128
WIRE 448 144 368 144
WIRE 496 144 448 144
WIRE 1008 144 1008 128
WIRE 1088 144 1008 144
WIRE 1136 144 1088 144
WIRE -16 160 -16 96
WIRE 768 160 768 96
WIRE 368 176 368 144
WIRE 1008 176 1008 144
WIRE 496 192 496 144
WIRE 1136 192 1136 144
WIRE 1264 224 1264 112
WIRE 240 256 240 224
WIRE -16 288 -16 240
WIRE 368 288 368 256
WIRE 496 288 496 256
WIRE 496 288 368 288
WIRE 1008 288 1008 256
WIRE 1136 288 1136 256
WIRE 1136 288 1008 288
WIRE 368 336 368 288
WIRE 768 336 768 240
WIRE 1008 336 1008 288
FLAG 368 336 0
FLAG -16 0 0
FLAG 32 -128 V2.2
FLAG -16 96 Vin
FLAG 240 256 0
FLAG -16 288 0
FLAG 128 0 0
FLAG 368 -160 V2.2
FLAG 448 144 Vs
FLAG 1008 336 0
FLAG 1152 0 Vout
FLAG 1008 -160 V2.2
FLAG 1088 144 Vs2
FLAG 768 336 0
FLAG 416 0 G1
FLAG 608 0 Vin2
FLAG 832 96 Vin3
FLAG 1264 224 0
SYMBOL voltage -16 -112 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 24 124 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value 2.2v
SYMATTR SpiceLine Rser=1
SYMBOL voltage -16 144 R0
WINDOW 123 24 152 Left 2
WINDOW 39 24 124 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMATTR Value SINE(0 50uV 60K)
SYMATTR Value2 AC 1
SYMATTR SpiceLine Rser=10
SYMBOL res 224 128 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 10Meg
SYMBOL cap 112 -112 R0
SYMATTR InstName C5
SYMATTR Value 100µF
SYMBOL res 352 -144 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL njf 320 32 R0
SYMATTR InstName T1
SYMATTR Value JBF862
SYMBOL res 352 160 R0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL cap 480 192 R0
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 10µF
SYMBOL res 992 -144 R0
SYMATTR InstName R6
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL njf 960 32 R0
SYMATTR InstName T2
SYMATTR Value JBF862
SYMBOL res 992 160 R0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL cap 1120 192 R0
SYMATTR InstName C3
SYMATTR Value 1000nf
SYMBOL cap 448 16 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName C2
SYMATTR Value 10µF
SYMBOL res 752 144 R0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 10Meg
SYMBOL cap 1248 48 R0
SYMATTR InstName C4
SYMATTR Value 10pF
TEXT 502 -200 Left 2 !.ac dec 10 0.1 10Meg
TEXT -24 400 Left 2 !.lib Simulations\\spice_BF862.prm

--

Rick
Old November 16th 14, 08:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 22:17:38 -0500, rickman wrote:

On 11/4/2014 6:29 PM, rickman wrote:
I am working on a project for receiving a very narrow bandwidth signal
at 60 kHz. One of the design goals is to keep the power consumption to
an absolute minimum. I'm trying to figure out how to run a
pre-amplifier on less than 100 uW. So far I have found nothing. Any
suggestions?

I haven't seen the original post, but are you building some type of
clock receiver ? Those work for a year with a single battery.

What kind of antenna are you using ? Do you really need a preamp ?

Do you have room for a tank circuit (L/C) on the collector/drain ?

Old November 16th 14, 10:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 03:47:44 -0500, rickman wrote:

On 11/16/2014 3:18 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 22:17:38 -0500, rickman wrote:

On 11/4/2014 6:29 PM, rickman wrote:
I am working on a project for receiving a very narrow bandwidth signal
at 60 kHz. One of the design goals is to keep the power consumption to
an absolute minimum. I'm trying to figure out how to run a
pre-amplifier on less than 100 uW. So far I have found nothing. Any
suggestions?

I haven't seen the original post, but are you building some type of
clock receiver ? Those work for a year with a single battery.

Yes, it is a radio controlled clock.

What kind of antenna are you using ? Do you really need a preamp ?

I was planning on a loop antenna made from RG6 cable, but if I have to
add an amplifier I may use a ferrite loop.

Are you going to use a big (several meters) loop with the RG-6 center
conductor as a loop and cutting the shield at the top and using the
rest of the cable shield as a grounded static shield and using a small
coupling loop into the receiver ? With the main loop resonated by a
capacitor to 60 kHz, you should get quite decent signal without
preamplifier.

For anything smaller, a 5 cm ferrite bar is quite adequate due to the
high band noise, even if the ferrite antenna gain might be -40 dBi or
even -60 dBi.

Do you have room for a tank circuit (L/C) on the collector/drain ?

Room should not be a problem. But what is the point of a tank?

1. if you do not have a frequency selective antenna, this tank circuit
will provide the selectivity. Since this stage has a low gain at
unwanted frequencies, this reduces the risk of IP3 distortion, which
becomes critical at low collector/drain currents.

2. you get at least twice the voltage swing compared to the battery
voltage. Tapping the inductor or capacitor chain will provide nice
impedance matching avoiding the need for a cascaded stage.

Old November 16th 14, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.design

wrote:
[...]

That's the general idea but in an 8 turn 2 foot loop. I may add another
50 foot of RG6 (helps with the split) to boost the signal further.
"Decent" must be defined. This signal is not so strong, 100 uV/m and
this loop will only give 26 uV counting a Q of 90 which might not fully
materialize by the time it is plugged into the receiver.

As I think about this (I do more thinking than designing sometimes) I am
becoming less and less convinced I can do this without a preamp.

For anything smaller, a 5 cm ferrite bar is quite adequate due to the
high band noise, even if the ferrite antenna gain might be -40 dBi or
even -60 dBi.

Not sure why you would compare the ferrite antenna to an isotropic
antenna, but when compared to the 2 foot loop the equations show the 2
foot loop provides a stronger signal. Now that I am considering a
preamp I may return to the idea of the ferrite loop antenna. Lol, if I
do that I can explore the joys of Litz wire.

Do you have room for a tank circuit (L/C) on the collector/drain ?

Room should not be a problem. But what is the point of a tank?

1. if you do not have a frequency selective antenna, this tank circuit
will provide the selectivity. Since this stage has a low gain at
unwanted frequencies, this reduces the risk of IP3 distortion, which
becomes critical at low collector/drain currents.

The antenna is already highly tuned to the frequency of interest.
Unlike voice broadcasts the bandwidth of this signal is just double
digit Hz so a Q as high as feasible is useful. That is why RG6 was
picked, with a center conductor that pushes the skin effect the Q will
be as good as practical (without using Litz wire, lol).

2. you get at least twice the voltage swing compared to the battery
voltage. Tapping the inductor or capacitor chain will provide nice
impedance matching avoiding the need for a cascaded stage.

Impedance matching to what? My "receiver" is an FPGA with a rather high
impedance input, measured in Megaohms in parallel with single digit pF.

I don't need to worry about Vcc (or Vdd) limiting voltage swing even
with the amp the voltage is low. If the tuned circuit will boost the
voltage otherwise I would consider it. Would a tank circuit be put in
series with a resistance? Otherwise how is the DC point established? I
am using a source resistor with bypass cap to bias the gate-source
voltage (reminds me of tube circuits) but a resistor is also needed in
the drain connection, no?

--

Rick
Old November 16th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.design

rickman wrote:
[...]

You need a FET with an input capacitance an order of magnitude lower.
Got to run now and can't find it so quickly but ask John Larkin. He
suggested a FET a while ago that is IIRC under 1pF.

Dual gate FETs are another option. An example, although this one still
has 2pF at gate 1:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BF998.pdf

Have you tried BJTs? Only sad thing is, many of the very low power
Japanese ones have been discontinued.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 16th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 08:14:11 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

rickman wrote:
[...]

NE3509 maybe... a bit under 1 pF. Phemts have high 1/f noise corners,
so I don't know how well they might work at 60 KHz and low current.
Phil probably has lf noise data on a Skyworks part.

The key to low-noise, low-power gain in narrowband amps is proper
input network tuning. A tuned circuit makes voltage gain for zero
power consumption. Ditto interstage coupling. This problem may not
actually need a super-low-capacitance part.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Preamp, RF amp and LNA. sjones Homebrew 2 October 22nd 06 12:07 PM
Preamp Asimov Homebrew 8 October 3rd 05 06:50 PM
WANT D 104 UG8 PREAMP MIC Marty B. Swap 1 September 21st 04 04:53 AM
Ant Preamp AW-203-1 ? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 0 May 23rd 04 09:31 PM
Ant Preamp AW-203-1 ? Henry Kolesnik Boatanchors 0 May 23rd 04 09:31 PM