Old November 11th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [PD0AC] Anytone mobile radios: from crap to cool

Post : Anytone mobile radios: from crap to cool
Author : Hans
Tags : Anytone, TX Audio
Categories : Amateur Radio, HAM Gear, HAM Radio, Links, Opinion

The early versions of Anytone radios were, well, kinda crappy. Things have
changed, thanks toÂ*guinea pigs called 'hams', who sorted out the many bugs.
The latest firmware and PCB revisions took care of most flaws.

Now Anytone radios are so good that many other manufacturers use their
design. In most cases they just relabel the radio, but others try to make
something more original. The quality of all these radios is about the same,
with one notable exception: Alinco. This manufacturer perfected the Anytone
designs before they started selling their latest VHF/UHF radios.

[...]

Old November 12th 14, 02:36 AM
Senior Member

I think you said the key word - Looks!

It looks cool - who gives a crap!

When I buy radios - I want a radio that works - period!

The old saying - you get what you pay for!
If all you buy is junk, that is all that you are going to have!

That cheap Chinese crap caters to the cheap ham - if that is what you want to call them.. Actually a little more like a CB radio - since that is all that these new hams can relate to.

The kicker is when even the FCC and the ARRL calls the FM repeater frequencies - Channels!
With the exception of 60 meters - nothing we do as amateurs is channelized!
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old November 12th 14, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Channel Jumper wrote:

The kicker is when even the FCC and the ARRL calls the FM repeater
frequencies - Channels!

With the exception of 60 meters - nothing we do as amateurs is
channelized!

Nothing that we do, except for 60 meters, has channels specified by
regulation and legally enforced by the FCC.

The repeater frequencies are "channels" in other, very practical
senses. They are treated in this fashion by most (I think) of the
repeater coordination groups in the U.S., in that these groups will
typically not declare a repeater to be "coordinated" if its transmit
and receive frequency bandwidths are not centered in one of the
"channels" that have been agreed to by that particular coordinating
group. Insist that one of these groups grant a coordination for a
145.276143 MHz frequency and they'll probably turn you down (while the
2-meter coordinator gives you an ugly look).

Also, a lot of the simpler radios these days (such as the ones you are
criticising) use PLL-synthesized oscillators, locked to a quartz
crystal reference. The PLL divider architecture effectively forces
the radios to tune only to frequencies which are integral multiples of
a fixed interval... often 5 kHz or 12.5 kHz... and so these radios
have a *physically* channelized RF design. Few if any of these AM/FM
ham radios have a RIT/XIT offset tuning capability, or
continuously-variable oscillators.

Yes, as a ham, you're perfectly free to operate in the FM repeater
band with odd frequency offsets or splits, ignoring the channels-
by-convention entirely. I'd guess that only a fraction of a percent
of amateur users of this frequency spectrum, ever do so.