Old February 8th 16, 12:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Default An SDR or DDS question?

"Brian Howie" wrote in message

Someone has modified the code to use increased sound card sample rates ,
and add other features .

https://sites.google.com/site/swljo30tb/home

I can receive MSF amongst other stations on 60KHz with the 192KHz version
on an untuned 5ft loop antenna I use on MF.

OK, thanks, I've grabbed that too.

Enough code browsing to keep me off Usenet for a few days :-)

Cue: You know what!

Old February 8th 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On 2/7/2016 9:54 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 2/6/2016 4:07 PM, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.equipment Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 2/6/2016 1:07 PM, gareth wrote:
"Brian Howie" wrote in message
In message , gareth
writes
Presumably those SDR rigs which do not work on the IF but
directly from antennae must have, separately from the DSP processor,
some semblance of a DDS generator (but without the final DAC) to
act as the equivalent of the VFO, for I cannot perceive that a
fractional-Hz
tuning rate could be achieved with machine code running in the DSP
processor?
I'm not an expert ,but I think what you're asking is " how is the local
oscillator generated" in a direct conversion SDR and "what determines its
resolution"
There is an example here, :-
http://www.radioelementi.it/public/saqrx.pdf
The "c" source code is here,which I can just about understand ( My
software background is FORTRAN and Matlab) :-
https://sites.google.com/site/sm6lkm/saqrx/
Softies shouldn't have a problem with it although I was able to mess about
with it and recompile it successfully
In this case the spectrum is dc to 22050Hz in 512 steps. It's not the LO
precision ( it's floating point in this one) that limits it but the size
of the FFT , the sample rate and thus the record length, that sets the
minimum FFT bin width . This one tunes in lumps of about 43Hz

Thank-you Brian, but what you have URLed is already at baseband, being VLF.

When moving from FORTRAN to C, the major difference (apart from the
nitty-gritty
of statement syntax) is that in FORTRAN, variables are always passed by
reference
(at least in FORTRAN '66 which I did 47 years ago) and in C you have the
choice of passing
by value or by reference.

Wrong on both counts. Fortran and C are both pass by value. Neither
defines pass by reference in their respective standards although some
recent Fortran compilers have an extension to pass by reference).

In C, if an arguement to a function is defined as a pointer, then the
local values are references to the storage locations of the original
arguments passed in and changes will change the original value. This
is called pass by reference.

In C, if the argument to a function is defined as a pointer, then a copy
of the pointer is passed. Of course, that copy still points at the same
place as the original, but it is still a copy.

And that is the definition of "pass by reference", passing a pointer (a
reference) to an object rather than its value. This "reference"
explains it to you in your own language.

http://courses.washington.edu/css342...32/passby.html

It is not called pass by reference. The pointer must still be
dereference to get to the value.

C++ does have a pass by reference, but not C.

In C, if an arguement to a function is not defined as a pointer,
then the local value is a copy of the original value which will not
be changed. This is called pass by value.

Both are pass by value. The only difference is if you are passing the
variable or a pointer by value.

And that is the whole difference between reference and value parameters.
Heck, I learned this in a chemistry class (FORTRAN) long before I was
in the EE department.

rude comment snipped

--

Rick
Old February 8th 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

In message , rickman
writes
wrote:
[...]

I never really thought about it in all of my 40 odd years of using
FORTRAN, uhm I just sort of wrote it .

However FORTRAN does have dummy variables and arguments and it says here
it passes usually by reference.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.60%29.aspx

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Old February 8th 16, 08:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

I think what it says is in FORTRAN the *default* is to pass by
reference, but the programmer can specify what they want. I haven't
used FORTRAN in nearly 40 years, so I don't recall the syntax for how
that was done then. I just remember the lecture where our professor was
"explaining" the difference when he was virtually yelling at us because
we weren't getting the concept. Somehow he felt using erasers as props
should have made it all perfectly clear. lol

--

Rick
Old February 8th 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

And you can find sites on the internet which say the Earth is flat.

It isn't by most C experts. Pass by reference means being able to use
the variable without having to dereference it.

http://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial...-by-reference/

It is not called pass by reference. The pointer must still be
dereference to get to the value.

C++ does have a pass by reference, but not C.

In C, if an arguement to a function is not defined as a pointer,
then the local value is a copy of the original value which will not
be changed. This is called pass by value.

Both are pass by value. The only difference is if you are passing the
variable or a pointer by value.

And that is the whole difference between reference and value parameters.
Heck, I learned this in a chemistry class (FORTRAN) long before I was
in the EE department.

Yea, right. You took FORTRAN in a chemistry class? That's a great one!

Go crawl back into your electronics technology course. You know even
less about programming than you do electronics.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Old February 9th 16, 06:26 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
[...]

Perfectly normal, at least in the UK, for students studying various courses
(certainly the sciences) to study a programming language (in my Uni days
Fortran). My wife certainly did, we were married while at Uni (still are of
course) and we often spent lunch times preparing 'punch cards' which were
the entry method for the Uni Fortran machines.

Jerry is actually quite funny. He's as good as any stand up comedian I
know. I especially am amused when he feels he has to hurl insults.
That's how you know he doesn't understand what is going on.

I actually learned FORTRAN programming on teletypes in the chemistry
building. I was truly amazed by this magical language. Unfortunately
most of my professors didn't really understand computers very well. I
recall one thought you had to press both the Control and the 'C' key
truly simultaneously to make it work. So he would try to smash both
keys at once not always getting the desired result. lol

Then I got more into computers in a job and learned assembly language at
the same time I was taking EE and CS courses and was actually a bit
disillusioned to find out how dry and detail oriented programming really
was. It's funny how the mind can see amazing possibilities until you
learn about the little man behind the curtain. Now I know a lot more
about the subjects and see new possibilities in many areas, so the
thrill came back.

--

Rick
Old February 9th 16, 01:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
[...]

And I suppose you learned about exothermic reactions in a World History
class.

In the United States, computer languages are taught in Computer Science
courses, not Chemistry.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old February 9th 16, 02:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
[...]

No.

In the United States, computer languages are taught in Computer Science
courses, not Chemistry.

Well, it seems not in Rickman's Uni/College.

It certainly isn't the case here. You could be enrolled/registered as,
say, a Chemistry student and taught a course in, say, programming you
would require by the Computer Dept. Just as I was an Engineering Student
and, like all engineers, required to do some Maths courses taught by the
Maths dept. My youngest, completed a 4 year Masters in Chemistry
recently (she is now doing a PhD). She was required, at least in the
first year (and possibly more, I don't recall) to do some Maths courses,
they were taught by the Maths Dept. I helped her with a couple of things
and noticed the dept. name etc. on the material. Likewise, her twin is a
Medical Student. She had to do at least one Law module (or perhaps
more)- that is taught in by the Law dept.

My Eldest is a Law Graduate, she has an LLB and a Masters, studied in
France- the two degrees were linked. She was required to do some French
courses, they were taught in the Language dept in the UK. She was
'Called to the Bar' (not something you have in the US as I understand
it) some time ago.

Old February 9th 16, 02:53 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 2/9/2016 9:36 AM, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/02/16 13:36, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

And I suppose you learned about exothermic reactions in a World History
class.

No.

In the United States, computer languages are taught in Computer Science
courses, not Chemistry.

Well, it seems not in Rickman's Uni/College.

lt wasn't a class in computer programming, it was a lab course with
multiple 2 week topics. Being an undergraduate class the idea was to
give you a taste of a variety of topics. So 2 weeks was just enough to
allow you to write terrible FORTRAN programs. Likewise the CS
department taught a lecture class which spent two weeks on each of
several languages. I recall struggling with Lisp until a few days
before the end of the two weeks when the light bulb finally lit and
programming became easy. In the chem lab I also took 2 weeks of metal
shop where I operated a lathe.

One of my best programming classes was in EE, "Structured Programming".
The ideas in that class have stuck with me ever since.

It certainly isn't the case here. You could be enrolled/registered as,
say, a Chemistry student and taught a course in, say, programming you
would require by the Computer Dept. Just as I was an Engineering Student
and, like all engineers, required to do some Maths courses taught by the
Maths dept. My youngest, completed a 4 year Masters in Chemistry
recently (she is now doing a PhD). She was required, at least in the
first year (and possibly more, I don't recall) to do some Maths courses,
they were taught by the Maths Dept. I helped her with a couple of things
and noticed the dept. name etc. on the material. Likewise, her twin is a
Medical Student. She had to do at least one Law module (or perhaps
more)- that is taught in by the Law dept.

At Univ of MD the Physics department had three different series of
undergraduate physics classes. Two semesters for the Chem majors, three
semesters for the Engineering majors and four semesters for the Physics
majors. I took the Engineering sequence "just in case".

My Eldest is a Law Graduate, she has an LLB and a Masters, studied in
France- the two degrees were linked. She was required to do some French
courses, they were taught in the Language dept in the UK. She was
'Called to the Bar' (not something you have in the US as I understand
it) some time ago.

What the "Bar"? Yes, we call it that as well.

--

Rick
Old February 9th 16, 04:40 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have to agree with you. Rickman's College of Electronics and
Transcendental Meditation probably did teach FORTRAN in a Chemistry class.

My university also taught FORTRAN and other languages in Computer
Science My courses, calculus by the Math department and every thing else
you said. I don't know of a single major university that does it
otherwise. Or even a small university.

--