Old May 8th 16, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KE9V] Time Running Out for TenTec

ke9v.net

Time Running Out for TenTec

https://ke9v.net/2016/05/07/time-run...ut-for-tentec/

TenTec has traded hands several times in the last few years. Most recently
it’s become an*operating subsidiary of Dishtronix, Inc. an Ohio
corporation. In fact, that’s been the situation since the first of the
year. *Any progress made in the direction of resuming “normal operations
have been mostly imperceptible.
When last I mentioned TenTec here, it was February and they had released a
couple of firmware updates for their transceivers. This was a welcome move
because they had previously said they were in the process of doing that,
and they followed through on it.
Kept promises are important but that was months ago and there have been no
further public statements.
The temporary Web site remains unchanged. If you want to view their
products online, you have to visit the online site still maintained by the
previous owner. You would think getting a new Web site up and running would
be vitally important to an enterprise with no show floor or retail outlet,
but that hasn’t been the case yet.
It’s both curious and discouraging to those of us still holding out hope
for a comeback. But the final nail in the coffin will be if there’s no
TenTec booth at the Dayton Hamvention — that opens in less than two weeks.*
If there’s nothing to show or at least talk about at that point, then it
will be clear that TenTec has no viable future.
Friends have privately told me not to fret, they say the new owner is
“serious and intent on making it all work”. Maybe. But you can’t place an
existing manufacturing operation in long-term limbo and expect it to
survive.
The clock is ticking and time is running out on TenTecs last act.

Old May 9th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

KE9V via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

The clock is ticking and time is running out on TenTecs last act.

They just started shipping old radios that were sent in last year for
repairs.

They no longer do it as a "good deed" at a low price, but they are
repairing them at what is market price for repairs from a commerical
operation.

Yes, there are some changes, and new rig sales will no longer subsidize
old rig support, but it is there and they are more likely to survive.

Free support is now limited to the Yahoo group (which is very good),
and not a phone call to the factory away.

I would not write them off yet.

73,

Geoff.

Old May 9th 16, 03:15 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey S. Mendelson View Post
KE9V via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

The clock is ticking and time is running out on TenTecs last act.

They just started shipping old radios that were sent in last year for
repairs.

They no longer do it as a "good deed" at a low price, but they are
repairing them at what is market price for repairs from a commerical
operation.

Yes, there are some changes, and new rig sales will no longer subsidize
old rig support, but it is there and they are more likely to survive.

Free support is now limited to the Yahoo group (which is very good),
and not a phone call to the factory away.

I would not write them off yet.

73,

Geoff.

Look at it from my standpoint.

Honesty is the best policy.

If you lie to me and you sell off all of your inventory and you get rid of everything except the name and you sell the name to someone else and you try to set up a new company with no capitol and you have no inventory to work off of and no spare parts to support previous models. Then in my book you cease to be a company a long time ago.

A large portion of any transaction involves trust.
I buy your product with the understanding that if something breaks I can get support from you, both in the way of repairs and parts - for at least 10 years.

General Motors, Ford, Dodge - if I buy a car or truck and I wreck that vehicle, I can take that vehicle to any dealer in the country and they can get suitable new replacement parts and restore my vehicle back to original or better than original condition.

If you sell me your vehicle at a slightly reduced cost, offer me a warranty and then go out of business and say - we don't know you anymore and that company doesn't exist anymore, and go to the lengths of saying we aren't going out of business, we are just selling off our inventory because we are moving to a new location - a new building with better facilities, and then just shut the doors and run away with the money. In my book that constitutes fraud, and I am surprised that no one sued them.

If I bought a new Ten-Tec during their Moving Sale and then the company lied and went out of business, I would feel duped.

If you say, I bought the name, I am going to produce an entirely new product, and I don't have any equipment or manpower to produce this new product, then I wouldn't waste my time or money believing you - that somehow the product you are going to produce is in any way better than what was produced before. That you are even capable of delivering a product of any quality, or that you will be around in 10 years to repair / service etc the product.

Take as an example Tucker Automobiles.
Tucker Automobiles had in fact produced a product.
The product was in fact superior to anything produced by any other automobile manufacturer.
The other automobile manufacturers did not like a new kid coming along and playing in their own backyard and took away from Tucker the materials necessary to produce automobiles.

Tucker, not having the resources to start a manufacturing company from the ground up, resorted to taking money from customers a type of pre arranged deal, where the customer bought the radio for the car before the car was produced and the manufacturer took the proceeds from the sale of the radio to produce the automobile.

The government took this as being some type of shell game and shut them down before they had a chance to produce a fully working automobile.
Tucker searched the junkyards for suitable parts and produced his automobile anyways.
Tucker fulfilled his initial order, but the government did not allow him to stay in business long enough to develop a network of dealerships to sell the automobiles.

Basically if the large automobile manufacturers would have ignored Tucker, Tucker would have either -

A. not been able to produce enough automobiles to fulfill the orders and would have had to go into bankruptcy.

B. built enough automobiles to fulfill the order and stayed in business and improved upon his product until he built a product that was superior to the product being produced by all the other manufactures.

C. went to jail for defrauding it's customers when it failed to produce an automobile.

I think the Big 3 was more worried that Tucker was going to raise the bar higher than what they wanted to see it and that they were worried that Tucker was going to steal a portion of their sales - had Tucker been able to get the financial resources needed to equip a whole factory to build automobiles with new machinery and tooling.

It was cheaper for the Big 3 to get rid of one small competitor then to spend the money to compete against him!

This is what people in internet forums does today.
When one odd ball person comes into the forum and disrupts their happiness by telling them that what they are doing is wrong, or that they don't know what they are talking about, or isn't a part of the buddy group. The buddy group complains to the moderator until the forum banishes the one odd ball to sustain the happiness of the group.

The big 3 already had the government in their hip pocket because during the war, the big 3 gave the government their factories to produce war products - at a profit. After the war, the government gave them large contracts to fill of new automobiles to subsidize the factories while the factories retooled to build the same automobile they were producing before the start of the war..

It wasn't until 1950 that Cadillac came out with a more modern vehicle and it wasn't until 1955 that Chevrolet and Ford came out with a more modern automobile.

By the late 1960's, the foreign import market opened up and the US Manufacturers laughed at what was being produced in Japan.
Now look at how many cars with a foreign lineage you see on the road today.
Practically all of them are somehow related to Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc..

The time for Ten-Tec to upgrade and improve it's product has already passed.
The only people I can see that is looking forward to buying their new product will be the people that has a loyalty to the name Ten-Tec.

Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, etc. has already produced something as good as or even better than anything that Ten-Tec can produce today.
And you know that none of these other companies are going to go out of business anytime in the near future.

I say just let them make their junk and then boycott the company.
With no sales, it won't be very long before they are out of business again!
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...