Old August 22nd 16, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] 2016 Skeeter Hunt Report

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

2016 Skeeter Hunt Report

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

The day dawned sunny and warm, and everything needed to go hunt Skeeters
was sitting in the living room, waiting to be loaded into the Jeep. The
kids and I attended Saturday evening Mass, so with that obligation taken
care of, I was awarded with a quiet Sunday morning.

As Noon approached, I loaded up the Jeep and made the 7 or 8 minute drive
over to the historic Frazee house in Scotch Plains, which sits right on the
Washington-Rochambeau Historic National Trail (TR23).

The house in abandoned and in dis-repair, but a major effort is being made
by several organizations to restore it to its original, Revolutionary War
era state, complete with gardens and out buildings. The wooden cutout is a
drawing of Betsy Frazee. Legend has it that Lord Cornwallis was marching
his troops back to their base after the Battle of the Short Hills. As the
British marched past the Frazee house they smelled the bread that Betsy was
baking. Cornwallis was going to commandeer provisions, and demanded a fresh
baked loaf. Supposedly, Betsy gave him one saying, "I give this to you,
Sir, out of fear and not out of love." According to the legend, Cornwallis
was so moved by her bravery that he marched his troops on without taking
any bread - but probably took everything else that wasn't nailed down!

Across the driveway, you can see what remains of the old well.

Union County has a community garden in the back, on the site of the
original garden which belonged to the Frazee's.

I set up across the gravel driveway, making sure that I was well within the
100' limit for activating a national historical trail. Not sure how many
visitors might show up, and how "protective" they might be, I decided not
to throw any wires up into the trees. Instead I used my drive-on mast
support, my Jackite pole and my PAR END FEDZ 40/20/10.

Set up went easily and I was able to walk around and take these photos
before the Hunt started. I also chatted with a few visitors who drove up
and asked me what I knew about the garden and the restoration effort.

At 1700 the Hunt started and I jumped into the fray. There was plenty of
activity on 20 Meters, which was so good to hear. There was not as much
activity on 40 Meters, but I was pleasantly surprised that background noise
was low on both bands. That allowed me to work several stations that were
pretty weak. It's always nice when you can work stations that don't have to
be 599 to overcome the noise floor.

The station set up was the same. The KX3 with the Palm Micro paddles, and I
used my deep cycle battery for power. Yesterday, I went to Dick's
Sporting Goods to buy an ammo box to make toting the battery a lot easier.

The cooler with water bottles was essential. Although it wasn't as beastly
hot as it has been, the humidity was pretty high and it felt hotter than it
actually was. It was very nice to be able to grab a few swigs of cold water
throughout the Hunt.

As the Hunt progressed, the partly cloudy skies changed to totally cloudy.
From about 1900 UTC, it spritzed droplets of rain on and off. Nothing to
cause me to go QRT until about 2017 UTC, when with about 45 minutes to go,
the rain changed from a spritz to a bone fide drizzle. Not wanting to get
the equipment wet, I packed up and headed home.

My goal was to make at least 40 QSOs and I ended up making 41. I worked 19
different S/P/Cs and 6 different NPOTA entities. It was a very delightful
day and I thank all of you who participated and especially the New Jersey
QRP Club for sponsoring the hunt and making it possible.

So thank you, one and all, those who participated and those I worked. If
it weren't for you, the Skeeter Hunt would not be the success that it has
become. I'm already looking forward to the 2017 Skeeter Hunt!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!