Old December 21st 16, 06:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.info

Default Ham Radio 360 Workbench: 13 - 3D Printing

Ham Radio 360

Ham Radio 360 Workbench: 13 - 3D Printing

http://hamradio360.com/index.php/201...3-3d-printing/

This week on the Workbench Podcast-All About 3D Printing.

Today Jeremy, KF7IJZ and George, KJ6VU talk Everything 3D Printing.Â* The
questions youve had about printing for your hobby needs are finally
answered!Â* Where to start? What equipment do you need? Suggested software,
tutorials and more are all here!

Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas!

73

K4CDN

News Antenna Analyzer

300 boards sold!Â* The most recent pre order batch is nearly sold out
Our antenna analyzer is an Arduino based SWR analyzer for HF antennas,
covering 1-30Mhz.Â*
We sell boards and the rest of the parts can be sourced online more info
atÂ* 360workbench.com
JK’s Experience Building

400C for 60/40 Pb solder worked great
Electrolytic Capacitors long lead is positive
Use fume extraction if possible
Wear Eye Protection!
Software if Sparkfun doesnt show up in Board Libraries, visit
https://github.com/sparkfun/Arduino_Boards and follow instructions
Software seems like it takes a long time to cycle through bands…

3D Printed Case it’s coming!

Chris Weir KM4KTC
Provides 3D Printed Cases for GigaParts for Raspberry Pi/DVMega Hot Spots
Co-founder, CEO 2015, done work for Marshall Space Flight Center!
Rocket City 3D
http://rocketcity3d.com
http://km4ktc.com

29:26 Introduction to 3D Printing

Good general 3D Printing resource https://all3dp.com

What is it?

Taking computer generated 3D Model files and creating physical objects
desktop manufacturing!
Same technology/idea behind CNC, Laser Cutting, etc
Additive Manufacturing rather than Subtractive (Milling, cutting, etc) raw
materials are combined to build up rather than taking away from raw stock
3D Printing Technologies Common to Home

Stereo Lithography or Digital Light Projection (SLA/DLP)- light exposes a
plastic for hardening Resin Gizmo 3D, Form Labs
Fused Deposition Modeling/Fused Filament Fabrication (FDM/FFF) placing
layers of molten plastics to build the object

FDM/FFF Printers will be most common, and what we will cover here

Plastic Filament is fed through an extruder into a hot end where the
filament melts and is forced through a nozzle
Filament is extruded on to a build plate
The Hot End is mounted to a device that allows for 3 Axis motion of the
print head relative to a build plate

Filament

1.75mm vs 3mm stock based on Extruder size for printer
ABS
PLA
Nylon
Flexible
Exotics
Doped Filaments Wood, Metal,Carbon

https://www.matterhackers.com/3d-pri...mpare

https://all3dp.com/best-3d-printer-f...ic-wood-metal/

Components http://www.matterhackers.com/article...f-a-3d-printer

Extruder
http://www.matterhackers.com/article...our-3d-printer

Bowden
Direct Drive

Hot End

All Metal requires active cooling
PEEK/PTFE
Heater
Temp Sensor
Nozzle Size
Cooling Fan

Build Plate

Heated/Non Heated
Metal
Glass
Other
Adhesion Helpers

PEI
Kapton
Blue Tape
PVA Glue
Hairspray
ABS Juice

Motion Control

Microcontroller or ARM CPU
https://all3dp.com/know-your-fdm-3d-...lar-and-scara/

Software https://all3dp.com/best-3d-printing-software-tools/

3D Modeling Design the Thing

Autodesk Fusion 360 http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview
Google Sketchup http://www.sketchup.com
Autodesk Tinkercad https://www.tinkercad.com

Slicer Take an STL or OBJ and turn it in to GCode

https://all3dp.com/best-3d-slicer-software-3d-printer/

Printer Host Connect to a printer for control and streaming of GCode

Common 3D Printing Problems

Builds not adhering to plate, warping, air prints, etc
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/p...oubleshooting/
https://all3dp.com/common-3d-printin...hooting-guide/
http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Trouble...ictorial_Guide
https://www.matterhackers.com/articl...shooting-guide
http://support.3dverkstan.se/article...shooting-guide

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Recommendations

Buy a model based on open source technologies print replacement parts,
able to use open software, customize firmware, etc NOT MAKERBOT
Printrbot Play $400-$500 https://printrbot.com/shop/certified/ (on sale
for $300 as of time of this writing)
Prusa i3 MKII $700 KIT / $900 Assembled http://www.prusa3d.com
Make 2017 Guide http://makezine.com/comparison/3dprinters/
Review of the $200 Monoprice Mini Select printer
https://all3dp.com/monoprice-mp-sele...rinter-review/
Mods to improve the MP Mini Select
https://hackaday.com/2016/07/07/modd...-mini-printer/

Links to impossible objects

Planetary Gear Bearing http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53451
Platform Jack http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:925556
Caged Ball in Dodecagon http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:215868

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Update from Rocket City 3D

Just a quick update on the case. For those of you that dont follow my
company Rocket City 3D on Twitter or Instagram.

We have been working hard to get a case knocked out for the #aabuild. Just
need to get the buttons right and add a few finishing touches and we will
be done! We should have these available for order right after the holidays!
We will also be posting the STLs and source for these if you want to print
your own or modify it.

We will print these on demand and plan to offer them in a few different
colors. After this the next thing on our list is making this thing battery
powered and rechargeable with few readily available components. Happy
Making! Merry Christmas!

This posting includes a media file:
http://media.blubrry.com/fo_time_the...wb13_final.mp3