Old January 4th 17, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.info

Default This Week in Amateur Radio News for Tuesday 3 January 2017

TWIAR News Feed

HRD co-founder dismissed following blacklisting row

http://bit.ly/2j2uyPL

The developer of Ham Radio Deluxe – a popular app used by thousands of hams
– have restructured its management following claims it punished users who
wrote critical reviews.

HRD Software said in a statement on Friday that co-founder Rick Ruhl will
step down to pursue other interests. Ruhl, along with co-owners Mike Carper
and Randy Gawtry, ran the radio software company after buying the rights to
the code in 2011.

The reshuffle comes after HRD found itself under scrutiny after it remotely
disabled copies of the software belonging to users who spoke out against
the company on various amateur radio websites and forums.

"Ham Radio Deluxe software would have been abandoned in 2011 without Rick's
partnership," said HRD co-owner Dr Michael Carper.

"Rick's day-to-day leadership in running the business has contributed to
the vitality and functionality of Ham Radio Deluxe."

WIA moves ahead STEM involvement

http://bit.ly/2iNo1cp

The Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) is developing a plan for the
involvement of radio amateurs in the Federal Government promoted Science,
Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) program.

This follows the successful WIA STEM symposium in Canberra on November 19,
that had 24 people attend to discuss seven presentations and a further 12
papers of suggestions, ideas and concepts.

It confirmed that the target audience where contribution would have
greatest impact was at the secondary schools level Years 7 to 10, and fit
in with the school curriculum.

The WIA believes that through the existing networks, projects and programs
can be developed that fit with and enhance schools STEM programs.

Ofcom adjusts policy on available Ham Radio call signs

http://bit.ly/2iGcVIE

Until September 2016 Ofcom would issue lists of unallocated amateur radio
call signs to help people select a new call - they have now stopped doing
this

On December 9, 2016 Mike Lewis wrote to Ofcom asking for a list of
available call signs, on December 20 he received a reply from Julia Snape
which said:

We do not hold a list of call signs that are available. Due to a system
change, the assignment of call signs is now done using an algorithm rather
than “grabbing” from a list.

Company tells disgruntled customer that he will not receive support unless
he removes a negative review, then threatens to sue him

http://bit.ly/2hNUk98

After N2SUB posted a thoughtful, negative review of Ham Radio Deluxe, the
company responded to his open trouble ticket with instructions that caused
his software to stop working in the guise of fixing his problem, then sent
him a note implying it had been deliberate and stating he wouldn't be
welcome to use their software anymore unless he deleted his review, and
threatened to sue him.

Young Men are Supposed to be Tech Savvy

http://bit.ly/2hPk9Lb

The hospital where I worked part time was converting to electronic records.
I dreaded the conversion. I understood the merits of electronic medical
records. I had more trouble understanding the technology.

I got into being a social worker, partly because I was lousy at things
electronic. This was not my father’s fault. Leslie J. Shaw got his start
being fascinated by electronics when the US Army trained him in radar
repair.

The radar of his concern was radar devoted to the aiming of anti-aircraft
guns. His skills could have come in handy on December 7, 1941. As my father
told it, he was enjoying a sunny Sunday morning on a hillside overlooking
Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, when he noticed an usually large number of aircraft
headed his way. As they got closer he began to realize they were something
he should be working on shooting down.

Old technology resurfaces as county prepares for disaster (Texas)

http://bit.ly/2i8bcse

When natural disasters strike it could wreak havoc on modern communication
networks, now the Howard County Volunteer Fire Department is turning to ham
radios for reliable communication in a crisis.

“Poor planning is not a solution,” said Tommy Sullivan, chief for the
Howard County Volunteer Fire Department. “If you don’t plan ahead and be
ready for a disaster then when that time comes it’s too late.”

When internet services, power and cell towers shut down, the battery
powered amateur radio and portable antenna provides a crucial link to the
outside world.