Old January 6th 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VA3QV] A New Year and a new direction

Amateur Radio on the Road

A New Year and a new direction

https://va3qv.wordpress.com/2017/01/...new-direction/

Happy 2017 and to some of you welcome back. Â*The blog as you know it will
be changing greatly (for the better I think) and I hope you will agree.

As our name implies Amateur Radio on the Road

I will be talking less about DXCC, Contesting and WAS. but will be talking
more about portable operation, antenna selections Â*as they pertain to our
new style of travelling. Â*Yes this year Liz and myself plan to be doing
lots of travelling Â*and there will be lots of operating from different
locations.

The first change I find extremely frustrating Â*All the blog posts starting
with then next one will be created with our new I Pads Â*

So this falls into the teaching an old dog a new trick category. Â*After 8
Years of blogging with a nice large monitor along with a full size
keyboard Â*I now have to learn how to use a 9 inch I Pad Â*The WordPress app
is fairly easy to use but my Â*fat fingers often seem to hit the wrong areas
of my touch pad which causes spelling mistakes and other aw shucks
moments Â*Its not as easy as I thought it was going to be.

The above Pic is not ours but close enough to show you the outside
view. Â*This one is a 2001 and ours is a 1999. Â*Closed up its a 23 foot
camper that sleeps 4. Â*Open it up like in the above pic and its a 30 footer
that sleeps 8. Â*

Once again the below pic is not ours You wont really see ours till the
spring (once the snow melts) as thats the next time we should see it but it
does serve as a good example of the trailer in its closed up position.

The idea behind this was that when we are on the road even though the new
(to us) trailer is larger than the old Dodge Class C camper (pic below)
that we lost last year

Space will always be at a premium so we decided to forgo a computer in the
Trailer but go with individual I Pads to do all of our work with.

Yes our. Thats the second change. Â*Liz will be contributing the non-ham
perspective to our upcoming plans and travels Â*This would be the part where
we travel to Sept Illes QC in late October so she can do some Whale
Watching and it was just lucky it was the weekend of the CQ WW SSB so I
could operate from Zone 2. Â*(What a coincidence eh!!!) Â*It might happen you
never know

Bear with us as were learning as we go Â*As we are having a Brutal winter
here in Ottawa so far things will not be taking off as fast as we had
planned. Â*Its hard to talk about Portable Ops and Camping when its colder
than usual with (way) more snow than usual Â*I am planning to dig out the
trailer for the end of March and then the adventures will really
start. Â*Its a blank slate as we have to equip the trailer with all we need
to travel with as well as add some extra storage batteries and a solar
charging system before we head out on our first real trip.

There will be a couple of shakedown cruises just to see what we have
forgotten to pack but the first long trip should be taking place late June
when Liz and I try again to make it to Prince Edward Island. Â*

Last year the fire changed our travel plans and we are really looking
forward making it there and back this summer.

CU down the road

73bob