Old September 2nd 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [IW5EDI] CAT Interfaces for ICOM YAESU Kenwood

IW5EDI Simone - Ham-Radio

CAT Interfaces for ICOM YAESU Kenwood

http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/3464...-yaesu-kenwood

Icom appears to delight in charging outrageous prices for all transceiver
accessories, so many Hams improvise instead. A few circuits have been
published for CI-V interfaces, most of which use the MAX232 IC. Â*Here is a
very simple CI-V interface, originally described by OK2WY .Â* Ive made
small changes to the modem control signals connections. Although the
circuit doesnt conform exactly to the RS-232 specification, it does work
well and has the advantage of being easily constructed inside a 9 pin
D-type shell. Please note that the resistor value 4K7 means 4700
ohms. Â*The transistor types are not critical, I just happen to have plenty
of 2N2222As.

Ive used this interface on various PCs and also Dell Latitude Notebooks
with both an IC735 and IC706MkIIG. No problems have been experienced even
at 19200 baud with the IC706.Â*It has also worked successfully when using a
USB/Serial adapter from a notebook.Â*Â*If a PTT function is required from
the COM port, pin 7 (RTS) can be used to provide this facility.

The circuit is powered by DTR (pin4).Â* I experienced some problems with
YPLog using this power source. If YPLog is configured to use PTT from
either the Parallel port or a different serial port from the one used by
the CI-V Interface, the program drops the DTR signal, resulting in no
power to the interface.Â*Â* This is easily resolved by powering the circuit
from RTS (pin 7) instead of DTR (pin4).

I have also used this interface to program my Yaesu FT50R. Only a change
of connector to a 4 pole minijack plug was required. Probably the
interface can be used with other HTs, although I have not tried it.

G3VGR

ICOM INTERFACE

Kenwood Yaesu Interface Schematic

DB9 Pinout

Document originallly found at http://www.iv3sbe.webfundis.net/html/Cat.htm

The post CAT Interfaces for ICOM YAESU Kenwood appeared first on IW5EDI
Simone - Ham-Radio.