Old February 10th 20, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] Got the antenna up

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Got the antenna up

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

I got the VHF/UHF J-Pole up yesterday, but it seems there's always a side
story involved.

I actually got a lot accomplished yesterday. Grocery shopping, errands, and
I made some stuffed cabbage for dinner for today. My first time ever. It
looks good; but tonight we'll see how good it actually is.

But getting back to the antenna ...........

Yesterday was pretty breezy and chilly. It's hard to believe that on Friday
morning, on my way to work it was 60F (15C). A cold front swept through
during the day; and by the time I left for home, it was 27F (-3C). The
remnants of the wind were still evident yesterday, so I decided to connect
the J-Pole to the top most mast section and connect the coax inside, where
it was warm.

I worked on the living room floor. Securing the antenna to the mast was a
piece of cake using three hose clamps. Then I hooked up the coax just like
the picture from Friday's post. I secured the coax running along down the
mast piece with cable ties. When it was all done, I went to put on my coat,
so that I could carry the assembly outside and place it atop the other mast
sections already out there.

That's when it got weird. I wanted to take the cable ties with me, so I
could secure more of the coax neatly along the bottom sections of mast. I
picked up the package of cable ties from the living room floor and then I
looked around for my cutters. I couldn't find them anywhere. I JUST HAD
THEM IN MY HANDS !!!!

I checked my pockets - nope. I looked under the sofa, thinking maybe I
knocked them under there, somehow. Nope. I checked my coat pockets. Nope. I
looked under the hassock and the chairs. Nope. I have no idea where they
went. I finally went down the basement for another pair and got the antenna
up easily. After I finished running the coax to the shack, I came back
inside and started looking for the missing cutters, once again.

I still haven't found them. Maybe they ended up wherever the missing socks
from the clothes dryer eventually end up - some sort of parallel universe.
They were a pair of Harbor Freight cutters, so they weren't expensive - but
they were very good and had become my favorites. I guess the bright side of
the story is that I'll get to go to Harbor Freight in order to buy another
pair - and you know what will happen, don't you? As soon as I buy another
pair, the missing ones will somehow miraculously show up!

The bottom line is that I seem to be hitting the repeaters I need to hit,
very well. I am officially ready for the monthly ARES nets that I
participate in. This month they occur this coming Tuesday evening. I can
finally join them from the chilly comfort of my basement shack - much
better than running out to the car in order to use the mobile rig.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!