Old July 31st 20, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] Reminiscing

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Reminiscing

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium= email

Last night, I installed the last of the capacitors onto the QCX 40 printed
circuit board. I got those new magnifying glasses the other day and they
really helped make things easier. I was able to read the capacitor
nomenclature without resorting to the "microscope". The added light form
the magnifying lamp helps tremendously.
A word to the wise (for what it's worth). I saw the magnifying headset in
an ad on Facebook. Almost everything I view on Facebook is somehow Amateur
Radio related outside of posts from friends, so the ads that pop up are
mainly related to electronics. I liked them as soon as I saw the ad, but
was not enamored with the price, so I did a search for the same type of
headset on eBay. Got one for less than half of what the company on Facebook
was charging. Moral of the story - always look around.
As I finished soldering in the last cap, i was hit with a wave of
nostalgia. I got to thinking of my Heathkit "Glory Days" back in the 80s
and early 90s. I built so many Heathkits, I was able to join their Master
Builder Club which came into being very close to their demise. In no
particular order, these are the Heathkits that I can remember building.
There may have been a few mo

My very first Heathkit was one of their VTVMs.
Then came a flurry of Amateur Radio Kits:

The HR-1680 was my Novice receiver.

Who didn't have a Heathkit Cantenna Dummy Load (filled with toxic PCBs)?

The HW-8, my first QRP rig.

The Heathkit HD-1410 Keyer - VERY popular

My Amateur Radio coup de grace build. The SB-104A with macthing
speaker/power supply and auxiliary VFO.
And there were also some non-Amateur Radio builds of neat stuff:

Had this alarm clock for many, many years.

The GR-70 scanner which had all the local repeaters programmed in.
And then, in my audiophile years - rack mounted stereo equipment:

Graphic equalizer

125 Watt per Channel Power Amplifier
Stereo Pre-amplifier
I spent a lot of money in those years - hey, I was working, single with no
commitments at the time. I melted a lot of solder, got a lot of solder
burns (along with the scars to prove it). But most of all, I had a blast
building each and every kit.
There's a lot of great kits to be had today. Some are questionable, some
are downright excellent and come with instructions that actually outshine
the Heathkit manuals - but there will never be an equal to what we knew as
Heathkit.
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!