Old October 19th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] Another way to "give back"

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Another way to "give back"

We often pat ourselves on the back for how virtuous we are in providing
public service. As opportunities for public service communications
continues to shrink, however, Id like for us to think of other ways that we
can give back to our communities. Such an opportunity recently presented
itself here in Ann Arbor.

A group calling itself Tinkered Toy Box put out a call for folks with
soldering experience. This group is a collaboration between Mott Childrens
Hospital and the Washtenaw Intermediate School District and modifies toys
in such a way that kids with severe disabilities can play with them. Below
is a video that explains the program much better than I can. You really
only have to watch the first ten minutes or so.

I volunteered to do the Fubbles Mini Bubble Machine. Heres a video showing
how to modify this toy:

I just completed this modification. It took me just a little over a half
hour to do.

I might suggest that you and/or your club think about doing something
similar in your community. I think that this is a great way to give back,
using the skills weve developed in amateur radio.

The post Another way to give back appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.