Old April 27th 21, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Day two - Cooltong Conservation Park 5CP-046 and VKFF-0823

VK5PAS

Day two - Cooltong Conservation Park 5CP-046 and VKFF-0823

https://vk5pas.org/2021/04/26/day-tw...and-vkff-0823/

The repairs on the interface for the antenna took a little longer than
expected. Many thanks to Ivan for all his hard work. Upon leaving Ivans
house we headed to our planned park activation for the day, the Cooltong
Conservation Park 5CP-046 & VKFF-0823.
Cooltong Conservation Park is located about 262 km northeast of Adelaide
and about 11 km west of the town of Renmark.

Above:- Map showing the location of the Cooltong Conservation Park in the
Riverland region of S.A. Map c/o Location SA Map Viewer.
This was another park that Marija and I had previously activated and
qualified for both the World Wide Flora & Fauna (WWFF) program and the VK5
National & Conservation Parks Award.
Cooltong Conservation Park is about 3,710 hectares in size and was
proclaimed on the 8th day of April 1983. Cooltong is an aboriginal word
meaning short cut. The park was dedicated to preserve mallee vegetation
and habitat for various Mallee birdlife of the area including the Mallee Fowl.

Above:- The boundaries of the Cooltong Conservation Park. Image c/o
Location SA Map Viewer.
The Cooltong Conservation Park is dominated by mallee vegetation. It has
undulating dunes and shales. Mallee refers to various low-growing shrubby
Australian eucalypts. Some of the mallee species found in Cooltong include
Blue-leaf Mallee, White Mallee, Narrow-leaf Read Mallee, and Red Mallee.

Above:- An aerial view of the Cooltong Conservation Park, showing the
Murray River and the town of Renmark. Image c/o Google maps
Birds SA have recorded about 109 species of bird in the park including
Malleefowl, Mulga Parrot, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Purple-backed Fairywren
(Variegated Fairywren), Southern Whiteface, Weebill, Grey Butcherbird,
Chestnut Quailthrush, Spotted Nightjar, Black-eared Cuckoo, Black-backed
Fairywren (Splendid Fairywren), Striated Grasswren, Redthroat, and White-backed Swallow.

Sadly the park has been used as a dumping ground in recent years by people
who are just too lazy to take their rubbish to the appropriate places. See
the story below on the ABC website.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...-park/12403946
The park is well signposted. We accessed the park via the Sturt Highway and then Santos Road.

We took a little 4WD track off Santos Road and found a clearing in amongst
the scrub. As we normally do, we ran the Yaesu FT-857d and the 20/40/80m
linked dipole for this activation.
First in the log was a Park to Park with Marty VK4KC/p who was activating
the Bouldercombe Gorge Conservation Park VKFF-1483. Marty was a strong 5/8
and gave us 5/5 from his park in Queensland.
We then moved down to 7.150 and logged another Park to Park QSO, this time
with Peter VK3TKK/p who was in the Upotipotpon Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2218.
I then started calling CQ and within 30 minutes I had 38 QSOs in the log
from VK1, VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK6, and VK7.

I then swapped the mic with Marija and it didnt take long for Marija to
accrue a mini pile-up. It only took Marija about 35 minutes to reach the
44 QSO mark, thus qualifying the park for the global WWFF program. Contact
number 44 was with Gavin VK3MLU.
We also logged another Park to Park, this time with Hans VK6XN/p who was in
the Leuwin- Naturaliste National Park VKFF-0283.
I then jumped back into the operators chair and logged a further 21
stations on 40m. Contact number 44 for me was Ian VK5CZ in the Clare Valley.
We were running short of time as we had a dinner commitment that night, so
we apologise to those that were still calling on 40m. We wrapped up the
activation with a quick 5 minutes on 80m where I logged 9 stations from VK2, VK3, and VK5.

Marija logged the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK4KC/p (Bouldercombe Gorge Conservation Park VKFF-1483)VK3TKK/p
(Upotipotpon Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2218)

VK3SRC
VK3FOWL
VK4NH
VK4DXAZL4TY/
VK4
VK4HMI
VK3HJJ/2
VK2HHA
VK2LEE
VK4FDJL
VK5HS
VK5CZ
VK3GB/p
VK1DA
VK2PBC
VK5FANA
VK3ATOZL1TM
VK3CWF
VK5HAA
VK2DG
VK2KMI
VK2FA/m
VK3PF
VK1DI
VK2PKT
VK3ARH
VK4HNS
VK6XN/p

(Leuwin- Naturaliste National Park VKFF-0283)

VK2YK
VK5GA
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2
VK5CIA
VK4SMA
VK2IO
VK3VDX
VK5XB
VK2NZ
VK5PE
VK6FBOS
VK3MLU
VK3ALF

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK4KC/p (Bouldercombe Gorge Conservation Park VKFF-1483)VK3TKK/p
(Upotipotpon Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2218)

VK3PF
VK3SQ
VK2HHA
VK2IO
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK3SRC
VK3FOWL
VK3YSP
VK3MCK
VK3MPR
VK2XOR
VK3CMC
VK2KYO
VK4BXX
VK4/NN3Z
VK4FDJL
VK2EAC
VK5HS
VK4HNS
VK2HRX
VK2YES
VK4HAT
VK5PE
VK3CWF
VK3ARH
VK3ATO
VK3LF
VK5ATJ
VK2FPAR
VK2FAPC
VK1NV
VK3ABI
VK4HMI
VK2AGB
VK6XN/p

(Leuwin- Naturaliste National Park VKFF-0283)

VK5PL
VK5XB
VK5KKS
VK7ALH
VK5CZ
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2
VK6YR
VK5KLV
VK2KMI
VK3AJA/5
VK3MLU
VK3BBB
VK2CCP
VK4SMA
VK5SCR
VK3CRG
VK5KHZ
VK4PDX
VK4LJB

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5HS
VK4PDX
VK5KHZ
VK5XB
VK3CRG
VK3BBB
VK5FANA
VK2HHA
VK5LTD

Marija and I hurriedly packed up and headed back into Renmark to our
motel. We had a quick shower and then headed out for dinner at Ashleys
Restaurant at our motel with Ivan VK5HS and his wife Cheryl, Peter VK5PE,
Danny VK5DW, and Di the wife of Larry VK5LY (SK). Larry was a very keen
park activator and hunter and is sorely missed by all. It was an
absolutely brilliant night out with plenty of war stories and laughs with great people.