Old May 2nd 21, 08:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.info

Default [QSO Today] k7OJL

QSO TODAY AMATEUR RADIO PODCAST - Podcasts

k7OJL

https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/k7ojl

Episode 349 - Roland Smith - K7OJL
Roland Smith, K7OJL, is currently my teacher at
CW Academy, who got a very early start in ham radio almost 60 years ago.
After a stint in the US Air Force, life and professional relocations
around the World paused Rolands ham radio activity. Roland has since
returned to amateur radio at a fast and furious pace, operating in just
about every band and mode. Together, we explore the dramatic changes in
the hobby and how K7OJL has adapted in this QSO Today.
Show Notes
Sponsor Transcription Listen to
Podcast

OJL Ham Radio Blog

Hometown: Soda Springs, ID
First License: Nov 1958, Arrived Feb 19 KN7OJL

Terms
Sputnik
Hammarlund ShortWave Receiver
Boy Scouts of America
Boys Life Magazine
Knight-kit Star Roamer Receiver
Colpitts Oscillator
Eico 720 Transmitter Kit
Monsanto Plant, Soda Springs, ID
US Air Force Reconnaissance
Yale University, Chinese Language
Air Order of Battle - Vietnam War
Gulf of Tonkin
USAF MARS - Vietnam DaNang AFB
Barry Goldwater MARS Operation,
Purdue University, Mathematics,
GI Bill
TRW - Lafayette, Indiana
TRW - Cleveland, OH
Thiokol Rocket Boosters
Space Shuttle Challenger
LSI Logic, Japan
Altair Computer
Commodore 64
Radio Shack TRS 80 Computer
Bulletin Board System
Prodigy Email Service
Barnes and Noble Book Store
Ham Radio for Dummies, H. Ward Silver
ARRL Technician Class License Manual
Portneuf Valley Amateur Radio Club
Scout Mountain Ultra Trail Race
AREDN Mesh Networking
Plate Modulator
Idaho National Laboratory
BYU Hawaii Amateur Radio Club
Allstar Link Net
Asterix PBX
CW Academy
CWops
Gro Lux Lights
Eliminating a Noise Source, blog post
Utah DX Association
Bob Carter, WR7Q
Joe Fisher, AA8TA
Long Island CW Club
Cricket 40 Transmitter, 4 State QRP Group
Parks on the Air
Xiegu X1M portable radio

The key ingredients to ham radio success for new hams that come during
retirement: Get a sense of community associated with amateur radio. Cost
of entry is now really low.

Advice to new or returning hams: become part of the ham radio community.
The RSS Feed for all audio content from QSO today is available from
here.

Please join our QSO Today community by pressing the button below. It is the
best way to suggest guests and topics, and provide feedback to Eric,
4Z1UG. Subscribe Knight-Kit Star
Roamer GC Receiver Eico 720 Novice Transmitter Xiegu X1M HF
Transceiver Commodore 64 Computer