Old June 12th 21, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] DIY: cell phone battery replacement, $6 desk mic, 3D-printed weather stations

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

DIY: cell phone battery replacement, $6 desk mic, 3D-printed weather
stations

DIY cell phone battery replacement

Last Saturday, when I got homeÂ* and took my cell phone—a moto g6—out of my
briefcase, I noticed that the back glass had come loose. It had been in a
hot car, and I thought that the heat had loosened the adhesive holding the
back glass onto the phone. A closer inspection, though, showed that the
battery had swollen, and thats what was forcing the back glass off.

I called a couple of places to see if they could replace the battery, but
neither had the battery in stock, and one wanted $50 for the repair, while
the other wanted $100! Neither of those options appealed to me, so I
searched for moto g6 battery replacement. One the things that popped up was
this video:

That looked simple enough, so I decided to try it on my own. Next stop:
Amazon. I search Amazon for motorola hg30 battery and turned up a little
over 20 items. The battery I selected was theÂ*Motorola G6 Battery, Euhan
3200mAh Internal Li-ion Polymer Replacement Battery for Motorola Moto
G6,Moto G5S,G5S Plus XT1806 XT1925 with Repair Screwdriver Tools [24 Month
Warranty]. It only cost $16,70, and it even comes with the tools you need
to do the job.

It took me a little over a half hour to remove 17 small screws, pry out the
battery (this was the hardest part of the whole operation), and screw it
all back together again. I didnt even have to apply any new adhesive to the
back glass. There was enough remaining to hold everything together.

$6 desk mic
A $1 LED desk lamp from Dollar Tree like this one lets you build a desk mic
for less than six bucks.

I found this article in todays email from Nuts and Volts. Using a $1 LED
desk lamp from Dollar Tree (shown at right) for the base, the author shows
how he was able to keep the cost to under six dollars.

He notes, No one will ever mistake my $6 desk mic for a $5,000 Neumann
microphone or even a $500 Heil. However, I believe it complements the
MicroBITX transceiver case I crafted from printed circuit board material,
and it gets good on-the-air reports.

3D-Printed Weather Stations Could Enable More Science for Less Money

Researchers at the Argonne National Laboratory tested an inexpensive
three-dimensionally (3D)-printed weather station, comparing its accuracy to
a commercial-grade counterpart over eight months. University of Oklahoma
scientists printed more than 100 station components from durable plastic,
using guidance and open source plans from the University Corporation for
Atmospheric Researchs 3D-Printed Automatic Weather Station Initiative.
These parts were combined with low-cost sensors. Despite signs of equipment
degradation and failure about five months into the experiment, the
3D-printed stations temperature, pressure, rain, ultraviolet, and relative
humidity measurements were comparable with those from a commercial station
in the Oklahoma Mesonet network. Said Argonne’s Adam Theisen, “I didn’t
expect that this station would perform nearly as well as it did. Even
though components started to degrade, the results show that these kinds of
weather stations could be viable for shorter campaigns.â€
read more

The post DIY: cell phone battery replacement, $6 desk mic, 3D-printed
weather stations appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.