Old February 4th 05, 03:04 AM
mike

Default Yaesu FT-5100 Lamp Replacement?

My Yaesu FT-5100 went dark.
Seems odd that all three lamps should have gone bad at once??
Yes, I know about the key sequence to adjust brightness. I'd been
running it very dim. It's in the shack, so vibration shouldn't be
an issue.

I did some quick math and decided that you can have almost a watt
dissipated in the brightness control transistor. Is that a weak link?

Can someone supply dimensions for the required replacements?
Available info indicates they're inside the cover for the LCD
and very difficult to get at. Would be nice to have the bulbs
in hand at the start. Scan of the picture from the service manual
showing lamp locations would also be helpful.

Anybody got experience replacing the incandescents with leds? I'd much
rather apply an extra led or two if I didn't have to disassemble the
lcd. Doesn't have to be pretty, just readable.

Suggestions?
Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Old February 4th 05, 03:14 AM
Jay Urish

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:04:24 -0800, mike wrote:

Consider this a "Me too"

I have a 5100 that needs to be re-lamped. No way in hell am I gonna
use incandescant bulbs.

I'm looking a a digikey or some other part number for suitible
replacements.

I know guys have done this...

If I can get the right numbers, I will write up the mod and get it
posted every where.

thanks,
Jay W5GM

Old February 4th 05, 08:07 AM
Markus L

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

Have successfully replaced 2 lamps some years ago. Bought them at
www.conrad.com, part # 727091. 6-12V 20-40mA, 3.1mm diam, 6.5mm long. The
job took me more than an hour, but it can be done without being an expert in
micro-surgery.

Markus