Old March 12th 05, 05:53 AM
Robb Leamy

Default IC-730 and IC-735 battery question

Hi,
Can anyone shed some light on the internal battery of the IC-730 and IC-735
function of these two rigs?
I've seen some sources say that the battery maintains Icom programmed data
and if battery fails it will be necessary to return the rig to Icom for
reprogramming. Others say, only user programmed memory data would be lost
if the battery dies? I suspect that the 730 may need to go back to Icom
while the 735 might retain Icom's programming.
Any ideas?
thanks, Robb WB8BHU

Old March 12th 05, 02:33 PM
Bob Miller

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:53:23 -0500, "Robb Leamy"
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone shed some light on the internal battery of the IC-730 and IC-735
function of these two rigs?
I've seen some sources say that the battery maintains Icom programmed data
and if battery fails it will be necessary to return the rig to Icom for
reprogramming. Others say, only user programmed memory data would be lost
if the battery dies? I suspect that the 730 may need to go back to Icom
while the 735 might retain Icom's programming.
Any ideas?
thanks, Robb WB8BHU

I have a 735. The internal lithium battery does nothing but maintain
the info for the 10 or 12 memory channels. If the battery goes out,
the memories go, but the radio otherwise still functions normally.
Icom rates the battery for about 5 years' use, but my 1983 rig still
has the original battery and it's going strong.

Other Icoms, and the 730 might be one of them, lose all factory
programming when the battery goes.

Bob
k5qwg

Old March 12th 05, 06:38 PM
Robb Leamy

Tks Bob,
I purchased my 735 used. Don't know when or if the battery has ever been
replaced. Gud to know I won't lose everything if it goes!
Robb wb8bhu

Old March 15th 05, 01:07 AM
Gary P. Fiber

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:38:45 -0500, "Robb Leamy"
wrote:

Tks Bob,
I purchased my 735 used. Don't know when or if the battery has ever been
replaced. Gud to know I won't lose everything if it goes!
Robb wb8bhu
.. .
wrote:

[...]

The IC-730 does not have an internal battery at all. The memories were
backed up with an external power source.

The battery on the IC-735 ONLY backs up the memory channels. When its
bad or changed all the memory channels will return to 28.000 MHz.

Gary K8IZ
Old March 20th 05, 02:20 PM
Steve

Rob, on my 730 theres a provision for a 12 volt back up
plug on the back. when voltage is maintianed your vfo will
remain on freq when the rig is shutdown. when there is no
voltage on that plug, the vfo will reset back to the
beginning of any band you selected. Its kinda of a
hassle, but no internal batteries to mess with. One of
the few icom rigs with a quadruple conversion on the
reciever circuitry.
Excellent radio for the money.

gud luck, steve in tx..........