Old March 17th 05, 04:21 PM
WCRV WCRV

Default Low Power AM Radio Broadcasting

The Low-Power AM station hobby has become more popular over the past 2
years.
In the U.S, it is legal to broadcast over the AM band 540kHz-1700kHz
using a 3
meter antenna and a 100mW transmitter.
Until recently, building a small AM radio station was very complicated
and very expensive, until now.
Using a SSTRAN AMT-3000 transmitter, which comes as a kit for under
$100.00US, or a built version which comes assembled and tested for under
$200.00 US, and a 3 meter, coil loaded and tunable antenna for around
$225.00 US, anyone can get on the air right now!
I get questions about range: the system I am describing has had reports
from 1/2 mile to over 4 miles! Range totally depends on these factors:
location, scope of the land, conductivity, choice of
frequency/adjacencies, and use of this antenna.
If the transmitter and antenna are installed correctly in a proper area,
several miles are possible. Many people are interested in a good, solid
local signal and this system does it for a fraction of the amount of
money you will spend for a comparable system.
If you are interested in low power AM Broadcasting, I invite you to
visit this site:
http://antenna18431.tripod.com/antenna.htm
In this site you will find information on the 3 meter antenna, pictures
of it, information and pictures of the transmitter and a link to email
questions, comments and inquiries to.
If you would like to be on the air, this is an excellent choice to do it
well, and at a very affordable price!

Old March 18th 05, 02:54 AM
Hank Oredson

"WCRV WCRV" wrote in message
The Low-Power AM station hobby has become more popular over the past 2
years.
In the U.S, it is legal to broadcast over the AM band 540kHz-1700kHz
using a 3
meter antenna and a 100mW transmitter.
Until recently, building a small AM radio station was very complicated
and very expensive, until now.

?????
When I was a kid, I built one using parts from a junked TV.
Zero cost.

Using a SSTRAN AMT-3000 transmitter, which comes as a kit for under
$100.00US, or a built version which comes assembled and tested for under
$200.00 US, and a 3 meter, coil loaded and tunable antenna for around
$225.00 US, anyone can get on the air right now!
I get questions about range: the system I am describing has had reports
from 1/2 mile to over 4 miles! Range totally depends on these factors:
location, scope of the land, conductivity, choice of
frequency/adjacencies, and use of this antenna.
If the transmitter and antenna are installed correctly in a proper area,
several miles are possible. Many people are interested in a good, solid
local signal and this system does it for a fraction of the amount of
money you will spend for a comparable system.

Hard to beat free.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

Old March 18th 05, 03:30 PM
John Franklin

It has always been legal to use 100MW on the BCB, geez like this something
new? Like a previous poster stated parts can be had for nothing. Very
complicated and expensive??????????? It's AM for crying out loud!!!!!

Old March 18th 05, 03:49 PM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

It has always been legal to use 100MW on the BCB, geez like this something
new? Like a previous poster stated parts can be had for nothing. Very
complicated and expensive??????????? It's AM for crying out loud!!!!!

If you take a look at the transmitter it has a lot of bells and
whistles built in. It was designed by a regular on
rec.antiques.radio+phono for people who collect and restore antique
radios.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 19th 05, 05:28 AM
John Franklin

Well letsee.......Popular Electronics Mag (no longer in business)
published an AM transmitter article for use on the BCB. It was housed in a
steel mail box along with the antenna network and antenna out the top of it.
It was meant to be mounted outside with the power and audio remotely fed to
it. Letsee that article was published in 1962 as I recall........As a
broadcast engineer I would be really critical of what the "Bells and
whistles" were.

Old March 19th 05, 10:29 PM
WCRV WCRV

This man is right; hey, if you can build one for zip bucks, go for it;
most people can't.
For some reason, I thought I was trying to help those who would like to
be on the air.

Old March 19th 05, 11:23 PM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

Well letsee.......Popular Electronics Mag (no longer in business)
published an AM transmitter article for use on the BCB. It was housed in a
steel mail box along with the antenna network and antenna out the top of it.
It was meant to be mounted outside with the power and audio remotely fed to
it. Letsee that article was published in 1962 as I recall........As a
broadcast engineer I would be really critical of what the "Bells and
whistles" were.

Broadcast Engineer? I started in that field in 1973 and have worked
in TV and AM radio until last year. It was awarded as a civilian
acquired skill when I was drafted in '72. I have worked up to a 5 MW
ERP UHF TV site with a 1749 foot tower. I started with '40s tube
equipment and worked up to state of the art RF and studio sites. I like
a good design, but then I got spoiled working on $80,000 radios and
building multi-million dollar telemetry receiving systems. I don't need
another transmitter around but I would probably build one with a MC1496,
or one of the newer Analog Devices four quadrant multiplier chips if I
changed my mind..

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 20th 05, 04:02 PM
John Franklin

Hi Micheal, I guess after doing the real thing a .1 watt
transmitter doesn't do much for me. I will say however that QRP is fun for
me on HF thru 70CM. I remember once using a signal generator, modulating it
and feeding a longwire. I heard it for about a 5 block radius. I called it
KVOM (K voice of Milpitas) Calif. I picked a clear freq and went for it.
Hmmmmmmm talk about coverage............I live in Nashville and WSM covers
real well. That big Blaw-Knox tower dominates the area along I-65. I can
listen to WSM when in Birmingham AL during the day quite well on a car
radio.

Old March 20th 05, 06:46 PM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

Hi Micheal, I guess after doing the real thing a .1 watt
transmitter doesn't do much for me. I will say however that QRP is fun for
me on HF thru 70CM. I remember once using a signal generator, modulating it
and feeding a longwire. I heard it for about a 5 block radius. I called it
KVOM (K voice of Milpitas) Calif. I picked a clear freq and went for it.
Hmmmmmmm talk about coverage............I live in Nashville and WSM covers
real well. That big Blaw-Knox tower dominates the area along I-65. I can
listen to WSM when in Birmingham AL during the day quite well on a car
radio.

I played around with part 15 AM transmitters when I while I was in
high school and helped start the school's ham radio club. The call was
WDSC, for my girlfriend's initials. I was always more interested in
receiver design and construction than getting on the air. I'm the kind
of guy who loses interest in a project after its working properly so i
was always looking for the next project. I started in broadcast while
in the US Army in the early '70s at Ft Greely AK. We had a Gates BC250
on 980 KHz at 250 Watts and a 500 Watt Ch 8 Gates TV transmitter.

Lucky you! WSM is my favorite station and I've always wanted to go to
the Opry but I'm disabled now and I don't know if I'll ever get the
chance. I saw the WLW tower and 500 KW transmitter in the late '60s,
along with the old VOA plant at Bethany (Mason) Ohio. I got to look
inside the beast and talk to an engineer who was a young man when they
were still using the transmitter.

I can pick up WSM her near Ocala, with a Sony walkman, (SRF-49) that
runs on a single AA cell. It doesn't have any speakers so I plugged in
a set of non amplified computer speakers and use it on my night stand to
listen to WSM while I'm laying in bed. I have broadband so I can listen
to their stream, when it works.

I have had several local hams try to get me to get my ticket to play
with ATV but I'm kind of burnt out on TV these days.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida