Old March 30th 05, 08:49 PM
Roger Leone

Default Question on Kenwood TM-V7A computer interface

Thanks for reading this. My friend Keith KA6FEW built this interface:
http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=2220

He is having trouble getting the PC to communicate with the radio. I don't
own one of the radios and haven't tried it myself but he tends to come to me
with his questions. If you have built this and got it to work, I would
appreciate hearing from you. My first concern is this radio seems to have
only a TNC port for packet operation. Does that port also allow data
communication between radio and PC?

73,

Roger K6XQ

Old March 30th 05, 09:02 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Roger Leone wrote:

Thanks for reading this. My friend Keith KA6FEW built this interface:
http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=2220

He is having trouble getting the PC to communicate with the radio. I don't
own one of the radios and haven't tried it myself but he tends to come to me
with his questions. If you have built this and got it to work, I would
appreciate hearing from you. My first concern is this radio seems to have
only a TNC port for packet operation. Does that port also allow data
communication between radio and PC?

I built a somewhat similar circuit for use with a TM-G707A.

It did work, but was somewhat "quirky". I sometimes had to
power-cycle the radio two or three times, and/or connect and
disconnect the cable to the PC or the radio once or twice, to get the
radio to "see" that there was a serial interface connected. The radio
seemed somewhat sensitive to the ordering of power-on vs. having the
interface plugged in vs. having the RTS line asserted.

I switched over to Kenwood's own serial interface when my own quit
working entirely (I never did bother to tear it apart and figure out
why) and I've noticed that the same order-sensitivity seems to exist
to some extent with the Kenwood interface.

Now, as to the capabilities of this port: on the TM-G707A there are
at least four different features available:

- 1200-baud packet radio capability (audio input goes to the mic
circuit, I suspect).

- 9600-baud packet radio (audio input probably goes directly to the
modulator, bypassing the audio frequency shaping)

- One-wire bidirectional serial line (per this PG-4S interface) which
can be used to program the radio's memory and modes with the free
Kenwood software, or retrieve the memory/mode settings for editing
and storage. As far as I can tell, there's no general-purpose
radio control available via this line - you can't "remote control"
the radio operation via a PC - it's just for memory programming.

- Diagnostic/setup mode - shorting two of the pins together, holding
down a couple of buttons on the head, and powering the radio on
will put it into a service-setup mode which allows you to adjust a
number of internal parameters (e.g. deviation levels).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO