Old April 10th 05, 08:19 PM

Default 1 Watt FM transmitter: need help with buzz

I bought a one watt Ramsey FM transmitter to distribute whole house
audio .... it's overkill, I admit, but better too much power than to
little.

I don't don't know a ton about radio tech, so I thought I'd ask you
geniuses for advice.

I am getting a wicked buzz from the transmitter. You can hear it
plainly when I tune an FM receiver to the broadcast frequency when
there is no music being broadast. I called Ramsey, but they weren't the
most helpful (maybe because I'm so non-proficient in radio stuff).

Since my audio source was a computer, I considered the possibility that
there was RF coming out of the PC, or that there was a PC related
ground problem. So I tried using an iPod as the source, powered by
battery.

And to get even more anal about it, I powered the transmitter itself
from a car battery with the iPod attached.

Still the buzz. Arghhh.

Could it be my cabling? If that's possible, what is the absolute best
way to insulate the cables? Where can I buy such superinsulated beasts?
(I need a stereo mini plug on one end and left/right rca jacks on the
other.)

What else can I do to suppress the noise??

I would be so grateful for advice!