Old May 9th 05, 02:19 AM
JB

Default Balun type?

You will find it very numb if strung very close to the roof. Like
the
antenna, the ladder line will be very lossy if in close proximity
to the roof or other stuff. Which balun depends on each individual
matching situation. It is often easier for some tuners to tune from
higher impedance down to 50 ohm. Although a balun might reduce
stray RF in the shack with a resonant antenna, It might not with high
line SWR.

A resonant dipole would use a 1:1 fed with coax and a 1:4 fed
with Ladder line. If the antenna is pretty random, I would vote
for leaving the balun out until later.

You are actually no worse off putting it into the attic and standing
it off with insulators and as much air space as possible.

"VE7anonymous" wrote in message
Hi all,
Rebuilt an old IC-735, got a manual tuner and want to put up an
antenna.
I don't care to communicate around the world, mostly Rx.
I'd like to string either a dipole or a single long wire along the
roofline ( ~50').
(read that a dipole config is superior to the long wire for Tx)
I'd like to feed it from the tuner with ~25' of RG-213, there is

provision for ladder line at the back of the tuner, but routing it

is
a bit of a problem.
My question is, do I use a 1:1 or 4:1 current balun at the

feedpoint?
I've read arguments on both sides. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance! :-)

Longwire balun. Which type? MC Shortwave 20 February 27th 05 11:46 PM
Adding a 2:1 balun to a multi-band dipole Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\) Antenna 4 February 5th 04 06:22 AM
Antenna Questions ASW Shortwave 26 December 8th 03 04:30 AM
Balun Grounding Question ? John Doty Shortwave 4 November 25th 03 12:29 PM
Balun Grounding Question ? Robert11 Antenna 6 November 23rd 03 09:39 PM