Old May 19th 05, 08:01 PM
gascoyne

Default Yaesu VX-1

Hi

I will be taking my Foundation Licence exam next week. I want a small hand
held rig to start with which covers the 70cms and 2 metre bands.

Has anyone any comments on a Yaesu VX-1.

Has anyone got some ideas for other suitable rigs.

Old May 19th 05, 08:08 PM
Robert Kubichek

The VX-1 is ok, BUT the VX-2 is much better!
One thing is to get another antenna, I have several different types,
from a 3" rubber dual bander to one that is very flexible at 19".
TheVX-2 is nice that it can also recieve the AM/FM broadcast bands, and
has more than enough memory for you to store your favorite frequencies.

Bob N9LVU

Old May 20th 05, 08:23 AM
Markus L

"gascoyne" wrote in message
Has anyone any comments on a Yaesu VX-1.

These are the problems I had with my VX-1:
Bad battery contact (lid of battery compartment) causes the VX-1 to
occasionally switch itself off.
In one of these incidents all parameters settings (S meter and squelch
levels) went haywire and I had to reprogram them all.
Bob stated the VX-1 would not receive AM/FM broadcast. Mine definitely does!
There is free software around which makes it easy to fill the VX-1 memories
via the PC.
I still like my VX-1 because of its small size. Its power of 0.5W is
sufficient for my purposes.

73, Markus HB9BRJ / AE6MG

Old May 20th 05, 02:21 PM
Robert Kubichek

Markus L wrote:
"gascoyne" wrote in message

Has anyone any comments on a Yaesu VX-1.

These are the problems I had with my VX-1:
Bad battery contact (lid of battery compartment) causes the VX-1 to
occasionally switch itself off.
In one of these incidents all parameters settings (S meter and squelch
levels) went haywire and I had to reprogram them all.
Bob stated the VX-1 would not receive AM/FM broadcast. Mine definitely does!
There is free software around which makes it easy to fill the VX-1 memories
via the PC.
I still like my VX-1 because of its small size. Its power of 0.5W is
sufficient for my purposes.

73, Markus HB9BRJ / AE6MG

Heh, where did I say that the VX-1 does NOT recieve AM/FM broadcast
band??? You're putting words in my mouth.

Also with the VX-2, you can purchase battery packs, and chargers for
much less than you would have to pay Yeasu.... Look on Ebay...

Bob N9LVU

Old May 21st 05, 01:51 AM
MightyMO

I was also told the battery for VX-1 is not longer available and is
different from VX-2
MO