Old May 23rd 05, 03:49 PM
K. Hastings

Default Kenwood TS-450S S/N Query (Sorry guys, misspelled it in the original post)

I'm looking at a used TS-450S with Serial Number 30300519 that seems in very
good shape.

Can you tell me:

(1) What is the likely date of manufacture of this rig? I'm hoping to avoid
an early production unit that may have some inherent weaknesses...
(2) What are likely problems that this radio has experienced over the years
that I should watch out for?

Thanks 73 Kevin VE9XYZ

PS (I asked this question over the weekend and misspelled TS-450S - sorry
about that; It's the TS-450S that I'm asking about)

Old May 23rd 05, 10:59 PM

"K. Hastings" wrote:

I'm looking at a used TS-450S with Serial Number 30300519 that seems in very
good shape.

Can you tell me:

(1) What is the likely date of manufacture of this rig? I'm hoping to avoid
an early production unit that may have some inherent weaknesses...
(2) What are likely problems that this radio has experienced over the years
that I should watch out for?

Thanks 73 Kevin VE9XYZ

PS (I asked this question over the weekend and misspelled TS-450S - sorry
about that; It's the TS-450S that I'm asking about)

I love mine and have had it a long time, only problem was I had to
have the numeric keypad replaced. Push those keys and make sure they
work right.
Old May 24th 05, 12:53 PM
Jim Leder

I've had 2 since 1992, both manufactured around the same time. The one I
have now is S/N 30900515. So I assume the one you are looking at is a bit
older. I did just buy a TS-2000 at Dayton to replace it, a difficult
decision. Both 450's have been rock solid and problem free. The only thing
to worry about, and it's not a major issue, is the battery backup. Life
expectancy is probably around 10-15 years (my second radio's lasted 12
years) and regardless of what people say, it's no easy task for the average
'Joe' to replace it. Certainly with the right tools, steady hands and good
eyes, you can do it.
It may be an older radio, but I think it's one of the better ones.

Old May 24th 05, 10:43 PM

" wrote:

"K. Hastings" wrote:

I'm looking at a used TS-450S with Serial Number 30300519 that seems in very
good shape.

Can you tell me:

(1) What is the likely date of manufacture of this rig? I'm hoping to avoid
an early production unit that may have some inherent weaknesses...
(2) What are likely problems that this radio has experienced over the years
that I should watch out for?

Thanks 73 Kevin VE9XYZ

PS (I asked this question over the weekend and misspelled TS-450S - sorry
about that; It's the TS-450S that I'm asking about)

I love mine and have had it a long time, only problem was I had to
have the numeric keypad replaced. Push those keys and make sure they
work right.

Might want to turn the M.CH/VFO CH knob also, forgot I had to replace
that also.
Old May 25th 05, 10:35 PM

Butch Magee wrote:

wrote:

"K. Hastings" wrote:

I'm looking at a used TS-450S with Serial Number 30300519 that seems in very
good shape.

Can you tell me:

(1) What is the likely date of manufacture of this rig? I'm hoping to avoid
an early production unit that may have some inherent weaknesses...
(2) What are likely problems that this radio has experienced over the years
that I should watch out for?

Thanks 73 Kevin VE9XYZ

PS (I asked this question over the weekend and misspelled TS-450S - sorry
about that; It's the TS-450S that I'm asking about)

I love mine and have had it a long time, only problem was I had to
have the numeric keypad replaced. Push those keys and make sure they
work right.

Hummmm...................! Well mine is 70900079 and it are a super
little rig, however, I would never use mine as a mobile rig except in an
emergency situation. I'm trying to find out when I got mine. It was
used, but it was in "as new" condition. I have never heard anything BAD
about the 450 except from the few duds that allways seem to have owned
every rig made since Marconi built his, or had his built.
Butch Magee KF5DE

Mine was new in the box. Can't remember when I got it.
Nothing lasts forever and I like my machine, but over time things will
wear out.
SN# 40700674

fs: Kenwood kpt50 repeater radio programmer Skipp has Kenwood stuff Homebrew 2 August 14th 20 06:12 PM
fs: Kenwood kpt50 repeater radio programmer Skipp has Kenwood stuff Equipment 2 June 16th 06 04:22 PM
Kenwood R-5000 (R5000) Receiver - Information and Resources RHF Shortwave 1 January 17th 05 01:03 PM
i confess Steveo CB 18 December 15th 04 05:20 AM
fs: Kenwood kpt50 repeater radio programmer Skipp has Kenwood stuff Equipment 0 August 7th 03 06:16 PM