RadioBanter

-   -   AD5TH Tower - Storm Damage Photos (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/74392-ad5th-tower-storm-damage-photos.html)

Charlie July 11th 05 06:49 PM

AD5TH Tower - Storm Damage Photos

In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

David G. Nagel July 11th 05 07:08 PM

Charlie wrote:
In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Your point would have been better if you had used actual before and
after pictures. If you check the name on each picture you will find that
they are the same exact file. Nice try...

Dave N

Charlie July 11th 05 07:58 PM

The images are the same yeah...DUH!!
Since there was no damage.....except perhaps your brain damage.
You don't catch on too fast do you?

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Bob Miller July 11th 05 08:05 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:08:49 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

Charlie wrote:
In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Your point would have been better if you had used actual before and
after pictures. If you check the name on each picture you will find that
they are the same exact file. Nice try...

Dave N

Not sure what Charlie's point is -- the Dennis hurricane historical
map doesn't show it anywhere close to Union, Mississippi...

bob
k5qwg

Charlie July 11th 05 08:35 PM

Because the images are virtually the same..even if I stepped outside and
shot a "true after" picture it would be the same image.

Sorry to disappoint all you guys but there was no damage here.....as all but
a very few "tower experts" predicted.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Charlie July 11th 05 08:37 PM

That's crap John....provide a link that shows the track "nowhere near". We
were under a Inland Hurricane" warning from 5PM last night. Maybe your
cartographer skills are a little rusty.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Bob Miller July 11th 05 08:46 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:37:57 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

That's crap John....provide a link that shows the track "nowhere near". We
were under a Inland Hurricane" warning from 5PM last night. Maybe your
cartographer skills are a little rusty.

Looks like it was hitting Mississippi up around Columbus, and heading
North from you...

How high did your winds get ... in Union?

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical.../at200504.html

bob
k5qwg

Charlie July 11th 05 08:52 PM

Bob,
The storm was not a pinpoint single line width across the map but over 3 0 0
m i l e s wide. I did not measure the "winds in Union". If they were not
high enough for you then maybe better luck next time.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Bob Miller July 11th 05 09:07 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:52:11 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

Bob,
The storm was not a pinpoint single line width across the map but over 3 0 0
m i l e s wide. I did not measure the "winds in Union". If they were not
high enough for you then maybe better luck next time.

According to the storm category indications on the map at

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical.../at200504.html

"Hurricane Dennis" was actually a "tropical depression" before it ever
crossed into Mississippi, some distance north of Union.

Charlie, I would never wish high winds upon anyone, but before you
brag about riding out a Category 4 Hurricane, you should be a little
more accurate in your terminology :-)

Have a good one...

bob
k5qwg

Ken Taylor July 11th 05 09:30 PM

"Charlie" wrote in message
Because the images are virtually the same..even if I stepped outside and
shot a "true after" picture it would be the same image.

Sorry to disappoint all you guys but there was no damage here.....as all
but a very few "tower experts" predicted.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net
www.deepsouthnet.net

Charlie, you may have noticed that the thread died once people realised you
are out of town and not endangering anyone else. Good on you for putting up
a tower out there, what the hell, eh? But the distortions aren't exactly
helpful.

More to the point, how's the DX'ing? I used to have to go to a nearby
mountainside road to get any height like you have now.

Cheers.

Ken

Charlie July 11th 05 09:31 PM

President Bush has authorized "Disaster Relief Funds" for 38 counties in
Mississippi including my county of Newton.
1. http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/1678647.html

You cartographer skills as well as your meteorological powers of analysis
leave a lot to be desired.

Have a nice day.....sorry my tower did not collapse and that no one in my
family was killed. Maybe next time..eh?

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Bob Miller July 11th 05 09:39 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:31:05 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

President Bush has authorized "Disaster Relief Funds" for 38 counties in
Mississippi including my county of Newton.
1. http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/1678647.html

Yep, those tropical depressions can be rough -- let us know next time
it rains in Union -- we'll want to see "before & after" pics of your
tower.

bob
k5qwg

Charlie July 11th 05 09:44 PM

There are no distortions Ken. The tower looks the same the day before Dennis
as it does now the day after. The WHOLE POINT in using 2 identical photos
was to illustrate that there IS NO DIFFERENCE after the storm.

I have been on Usenet for 20 years or more and it is always the
same....people just wait in the wings to take pot shots at others. I posted
a link to the tower photos and all I got was ridicule and cuss words.

Now that it survived the affects of hurricane Dennis I get accusations that
Dennis never even came near my home.
You guys can all go fish..or any other "F" word you might be able to think
of.

Sorry to rob you all of the splendor of viewing my new tower down on the
ground.

You ****ers are all a bunch of real sick *******s.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Big Ugly July 11th 05 10:18 PM

In article ,
"Charlie" wrote:

[...]

If you make yourself a target you become one dummy.

Cecil Moore July 11th 05 10:19 PM

Charlie wrote:
The WHOLE POINT in using 2 identical photos
was to illustrate that there IS NO DIFFERENCE after the storm.

I'll bet CSI could find a difference.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

K7ITM July 11th 05 10:22 PM

Hey, Charlie, glad to hear your tower suffered no ill effects. You'll
be overjoyed to know that mine didn't either. Sorry, no pix available.

Cheers,
Tom

Ken Taylor July 11th 05 10:54 PM

Just posting a real 'after' shot would have shut people up (well, most, as
you say).

Anyway, still glad it didn't come down. My only beef was ever the
neighbours - since they aren't in sight (and I notice you don't seem to have
your house near it either) I say go for it.

Cheers.

Ken

Buck July 12th 05 12:47 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:49:26 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Just because the antenna wasn't damaged in this storm doesn't mean it
its installation is safe. So it withstood a storm whose biggest claim
to fame around her is flood damage.

Will the antenna stand the test of time?

Good luck
Plonk!

--
73 for now
Buck

Russ July 12th 05 01:28 AM

wrote:

In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Just because the antenna wasn't damaged in this storm doesn't mean it
its installation is safe. So it withstood a storm whose biggest claim
to fame around her is flood damage.

Will the antenna stand the test of time?

Good luck
Plonk!

While I'm not going to "plonk" you, I would advise you to get better
guy anchors. Trees and utility poles aren't up to the task. If it
was me, I'd set some 6 or 8 inch steel pipe about four to six feet
into a BIG block of cement leaving six or seven feet out of the
ground. Have lugs welded to the pipe and attach the guys to the lugs.
This will get the guys up over head high and allow grass cutting and
the like around the posts. When the tree comes down, so will your
tower. Of course, using two different brands of tower section was
just foolish, the money spent on making a possibly faulty adapter
could have gone for another good section of tower. But, hey, it's
your tower and your money. As for me and mine, good engineering
practice takes precedence over make-do every time. Another amazing
fact is that someone climbed up there to put it up and set antennas.
It must have been a crazy man, as no sane tower-monkey would have
climbed up there on two different tower sections and faulty guying.
Be sure and post photos of the wreck when it comes down,eh.

Peter LaGrange July 12th 05 01:46 AM

Charlie wrote:

I have been on Usenet for 20 years or more and it is always the
same....people just wait in the wings to take pot shots at others. I posted
a link to the tower photos and all I got was ridicule and cuss words.

You'd think your twenty years of Usenet experience would not have failed
you like this.

Sorry to rob you all of the splendor of viewing my new tower down on the
ground.

You ****ers are all a bunch of real sick *******s.

No one wants your tower to fall down, nor harm to you or your family.
But you basically posted troll fodder and then have the audacity to
whine when it's not the attention you so wanted.

If you don't like the heat, don't post stupid things on Usenet.

David G. Nagel July 12th 05 01:48 AM

Charlie wrote:

Because the images are virtually the same..even if I stepped outside and
shot a "true after" picture it would be the same image.

Sorry to disappoint all you guys but there was no damage here.....as all but
a very few "tower experts" predicted.

If they are two different pictures why do they have the same file name?

Dave N

spaceyfi July 12th 05 02:35 AM

Definately, sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way.

Susan
Ham to be
Husband Leon is KB7YXG

Rick Scott July 13th 05 05:40 AM

Bob Miller wrote:

Yep, those tropical depressions can be rough -- let us know next time
it rains in Union -- we'll want to see "before & after" pics of your
tower.

bob
k5qwg

Hardly even a tropical depression. here is the WEATHER.COM Wind history
for Union (Actually Meridian) for the last few days. I would not call
it a Cat 4 Hurricane, but like every thing Charlie says its an exaggeration

http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

DATE High Avg Gusts Events
9 24 3 59 Rain , Thunderstorm
10 37 8 28 Rain
11 21 13 20 Rain
12 16 2 30 Thunderstorm

Rick Scott July 13th 05 05:45 AM

Charlie wrote:
President Bush has authorized "Disaster Relief Funds" for 38 counties in
Mississippi including my county of Newton.
1. http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/1678647.html

NOT FOR DISASTER RELIEF FUNDS but Federal assistance for Debris Removal
and Emergency services ... NOT A DISASTER AREA. Nice Exaggeration!

Additionally, Brown said the state and affected local governments in 23
counties are eligible to apply for federal funds to pay 100 percent of
the approved costs for debris removal and emergency services related to
the hurricane, including requested emergency work undertaken by the
federal government, for a period of up to 72 hours.

The 23 counties designated eligible for the assistance include Clarke,
Covington, Forrest, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson,
Jefferson Davis, Jones, Kemper, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lowndes, Marion,
Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Pearl River, Perry, Smith, Stone, and Walthall.

Ed Price July 13th 05 11:43 AM

"Charlie" wrote in message
The images are the same yeah...DUH!!
Since there was no damage.....except perhaps your brain damage.
You don't catch on too fast do you?

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net
www.deepsouthnet.net

Well, this will be my last post on this thread. I think Charlie has burnt
his last shred of credibility by using identical images for "before" and
"after" evidence. I'm sure everyone noted that not even a single tree leaf
was lost during that disaster, so I suppose Charlie could also claim that
his tower is as strong as a leaf, maybe even stronger!

Since Charlie doesn't seem to worry too much about factual evidence, his
request for technical comments must have been posted for entertainment
value, and in that, he certainly has succeeded. Can we look forward to
annual updates posting the same original image, thereby proving that Chuckie
has not only built a strong, but an eternal tower?

--
Ed
WB6WSN

Ed Price July 13th 05 11:56 AM

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, this is definitely my last post on the thread.

Charlie, you are a damn liar. If you go back to the record, you will find
that I responded with cogent comment regarding legalities of encroachment,
concerns about mechanical stress and inadequacies of base planning. For
whatever personal reasons you have, you are incapable of accepting the
realistic analyses that you requested.

Here Chuckie, print this and post it on your wall: You've got one tremendous
tower, good buddy, and I'm proud to say that I live 2000 miles away from it,
and you!

--
Ed
WB6WSN

Ed Price July 13th 05 12:01 PM

"spaceyfi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Definately, sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way.

Susan
Ham to be
Husband Leon is KB7YXG

Some people, a select few, can repeat the course indefinitely, yet still
rant at the gods over their misfortunes.

--
Ed
WB6WSN

Big Endian July 13th 05 01:04 PM

In article gf6Be.31364$ro.4327@fed1read02,
"Ed Price" wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Me thinks charlie is a kook.

Ed July 15th 05 03:57 AM

In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the
category 4 hurricane Dennis.

According to my map you weren't hit by hurricane Dennis..... maybe a
bit of tropical storm.... maybe.

Ed

Ed July 15th 05 04:01 AM

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...2/MonthlyHisto
ry.html#calendar

DATE High Avg Gusts Events
9 24 3 59 Rain , Thunderstorm
10 37 8 28 Rain
11 21 13 20 Rain
12 16 2 30 Thunderstorm

Damn! gusts to 59 and they get Federal disaster assistance? Hell, we
had gusts that high in the past couple months on the Oregon coast. Maybe
we ought to appy too?

Ed K7AAT

Bob Miller July 15th 05 07:27 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:57:28 GMT, Ed
wrote:

In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the
category 4 hurricane Dennis.

According to my map you weren't hit by hurricane Dennis..... maybe a
bit of tropical storm.... maybe.

Ed

According to the weather map he was about 100 miles from the "eye" of
a tropical depression, which is one notch below a tropical storm.

bob
k5qwg

Larry July 16th 05 04:49 PM

Charlie wrote:
In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Charlie, there is only one photo on that web page, shown twice. Do you
have a photo of any damage you took after the storm? I could not find
one in http://deepsouthnet.net/images/.

73
N1POP

Dick July 16th 05 06:29 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:49:47 -0700, Larry
wrote:

Charlie wrote:
In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the category
4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of result...live and learn I
suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Charlie, there is only one photo on that web page, shown twice. Do you
have a photo of any damage you took after the storm? I could not find
one in http://deepsouthnet.net/images/.

73
N1POP

Looks like it came through unscathed! :-)

Dick - W6CCD

Ed July 16th 05 07:39 PM

In all honesty to those that ridiculed the tower and it's associated
riggings etc...I have posted photos of the damage incurred from the
category 4 hurricane Dennis. I never expected this kind of
result...live and learn I suppose. Here is the direct link..

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/storm_damage.html

Glad your antenna system came through unscathed during your spell of
increased wind. My neighbor came home from the bar, drunk, sucessfully
too. Glad you both are unscathed!

Ed

Charlie July 16th 05 10:24 PM

Hi Larry,
I intentionally posted the very same identical mage twice since there was
no damage and no change in the image even had I taken one after the storm
cleared. There was no damage here at all to the station in any way.

I NEVER realized my photographic prowess would cause such a stir which
included accusations of "misrepresentation" "spoofing" "nice try" and
comments about my "**** tower" "crappy installation" etc. I was even
ridiculed for not "being in the eye of the hurricane". Gee maybe next time I
can request a 200 mph cat 5 hurricane to plow through my backyard.

Be that as it may since human nature and the heart of man are such I simply
wanted to show that there was absolutely no damage.

So to "prove" there was no damage here is a link to a snap I just took of
the tower. Geesh Louise......
1. http://deepsouthnet.net/images/100_5512.jpg

--

Charlie
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net

Charlie July 16th 05 10:24 PM

TY Ed....President Bush has authorized emergency disaster funds for our
county due to "increased winds!"

--

Charlie
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net

. 92.175...

spaceyfi July 16th 05 10:42 PM

It may not reached that area but it was a large storm so you could get
dmaging winds hundreds of miles from where the hurricane hit. While it
looks like the pictures don't show damage, it could be further down.

Susan
Future Ham

Charlie July 16th 05 11:07 PM

Good God Almighty.....

What will it take to satisfy you folks? How about free airfare to
Mississippi and a personal inspection of my station? For Pete's sake!!!!!

--

Charlie
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net

oups.com...