Old July 14th 05, 03:31 PM
Joeseph

Default What would cause the SWR to go up drastically when I turn my amp on?

This is a very screwy problem. First lets get the set-up of my
radio equipment;

The amp puts out about 100 watts on HF.

RADIO-----2 TRANSISTOR AMP-----SWR METER------ ANTENNA

Note the SWR meter comes AFTER the 2 transistor amp.

Ok, when I check the SWR on my antenna it shows 1.1. When I turn the
amp on it shows over 3.x SWR. The antenna is rated at 5 KW. The amp
only puts out about 100 watts.

Hmmm.....Ok lets see what happens when I use my 1 KW oil filled dummy
load.

RADIO----- 2 TRANSISTOR AMP----SWR METER-------1 KW DUMMY LOAD

Same thing. The SWR is about 1.5 in to the dummy load, but as soon as
I turn the amp on the SWR meter shows 3.x plus.

Ok, Maybe my SWR meter is screwy, so lets use my Dentron MT3000
tuner with a built in 200 watt dry dummy load and built in SWR meter.

RADIO ----2 TRANSISTOR AMP----DENTRON MT3000

Same thing. The SWR is low without the amp on and goes high when the
amp gets turned on.

Ok, Lets see what happens when I use my Drake L-4B amp instead of the
2 transistor amp.

RADIO-----Drake L-4B-----SWR METER-------Dummy load

Now the SWR stays low when I turn on the Drake L-4B for both the 1 KW
dummy load and the external antenna.

The transistor uses MRF455 transistors. Why would the SWR meter go up
significantly when I turn on the 2 transisor amp, but stay low when I
turn on a Drake L-4B.

I've duplicated this scenario with three different SWR meters, and
different patch cables. Lets me say for the record the SWR meter
comes after the amp, so I'm not looking at a high SWR on the input
side of the amp. This is on the output side of the amp.

?????

Old July 14th 05, 04:31 PM
Bill Janssen

Joeseph wrote:

[...]

Check the frequency (or frequencies) coming out of the amplifier. I will bet
that what comes out is not equal to what goes in. The antenna is not a
good match for those other frequencies.

Bill k7NOM
Old July 14th 05, 06:11 PM
Tim Wescott

Bill Janssen wrote:

Joeseph wrote:

[...]

What Bill is trying to tell you is that your amplifier is probably
oscillating or putting out way bad harmonics. That certainly fits the
symptoms with the antenna attached; it's a bit surprising with your
dummy load unless the dummy load is only good to two meters (chances are
your oscillation is higher than 2M, and harmonics certainly would be).
You could also see odd results if the SWR meters aren't good beyond 2M,
but I don't know which direction they tend to go with way high frequencies.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old July 14th 05, 06:17 PM
Joeseph

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:31:14 GMT, Bill Janssen
wrote:

Check the frequency (or frequencies) coming out of the amplifier. I will bet
that what comes out is not equal to what goes in. The antenna is not a
good match for those other frequencies.

Bill k7NOM

Smart guy you are! I never thought of that, but it makes perfect
sense. I don't have a spectrum analyzer, but since the 2nd harmonic
and higher lands above 30 MHz then I should be able to place my Barker
and Williamson low pass filter (30 MHz cut off) between the amp and
the SWR meter. Hopefully the low pass filter will allow the
fundamental through, and stop the higher frequencies (assuming they
are normal multiples of the fundamental frequency). If the
attenuation is great enough the SWR meter should not show the SWR jump
since the unwanted frequencies should be attenuated before they get to
the SWR meter.
Assuming you are correct my next problem will stopping the extra
frequencies from getting out of the amp in the first place.

J.

Old July 14th 05, 06:46 PM
big Boss

Your transistor amp is putting out garbage; transmitting harmonics that your
SWR Meter is responding to. You need tuning/lowpass filters on both input
and output.

Old July 14th 05, 06:46 PM
Tim Wescott

wrote:

[...]

Be sure to verify that it's not oscillating, and that any excessive
harmonics don't indicate some other problem with the amp (if you're in
the process of homebrewing it then it just means you forgot the dang
lowpass filter, but if the amp is a commercial unit & you're using it as
intended then there may be something broke).

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old July 14th 05, 06:53 PM
Roy Lewallen

Joeseph wrote:
, , ,
Assuming you are correct my next problem will stopping the extra
frequencies from getting out of the amp in the first place.

No, your problem should be figuring out how to prevent them from getting
generated in the first place. If the harmonic or spurious content is
that high, there's something seriously wrong.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old July 14th 05, 06:56 PM
Dave Platt

RADIO-----Drake L-4B-----SWR METER-------Dummy load

Now the SWR stays low when I turn on the Drake L-4B for both the 1 KW
dummy load and the external antenna.

The transistor uses MRF455 transistors. Why would the SWR meter go up
significantly when I turn on the 2 transisor amp, but stay low when I
turn on a Drake L-4B.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that your MRF455 amplifier may have some
instability issues, and may have a nasty parasitic oscillation going
on. You might also want to check its grounding, and the RF relay
which I presume switches it into or out of the circuit. I'm guessing
that you've got RF flowing where it shouldn't.

I picked up a few MRF455 transistors last year and have toyed with the
idea of using them as a PA in a homebrew rig, but from what I can see
in the application notes they require a goodly amount of care in the
amplifier design and circuit layout. If they aren't used properly it
looks to me as if they can be quite prone to misbehave, oscillate, etc.

If you can borrow a spectrum analyzer, take a careful look at the
amp's output, and wave a probe around the amp itself (prior to the
low-pass output filter). It would not surprise me if you find that
you're spurring the horse a bit :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old July 14th 05, 07:50 PM
Joeseph

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:31:05 -0400, Joeseph
wrote:

Thanks for all your help guys. I think you've hit the nail on the
head. Now it is time for me to do some more reading, and fix this
puppy.

Old July 15th 05, 01:59 AM
straydog

After reading all the other replies up to this moment, let me ask if you:
1. remove the radio (i.e. run the amp without the radio connected at all)
what do you get (if any reading of forward and/or reflected power), and
2. leave the radio connected to the amp, but run the amp without drive
power at all, then what do you get?
3. Can you vary the drive level (say down to lower levels) and still see
the SWR go up.
From what was written below, its not clear for sure if you are implying
that the amp did have a proper level of RF drive or not. But, I'd still be
interested in knowing if you get forward power and/or reflected power with
the amp turned on but without drive. I've actually had amplifiers where
the application of power and certain tuning conditions cause extra
frequencies to come out in addition to what was supposed to come out. And,
sometimes I got self-oscillation if the amplifier was NOT being driven
with input drive.

------------- No change to below, included for reference and context---