Old July 21st 05, 01:21 PM
k2

Default D.I.Y. Pirate Radio

I remember when I was a youth there used to be loads of FM pirate radio
stations round our way (Sheffield, UK). All the latest underground
tunes were played - no commercial sh*t.

Nowadays there seems to be hardly any. What's the deal with that?

Me and my mates have been considering setting up our own FM station and
we've come across this site:

http://www.broadcastrepublic.co.uk

They look like professionals to us and their prices seem pretty good -
Transmitters from =A3280 and Complete Broadcast Packages from =A3600.

Anyone else used them?

Cheers,
k2

Old July 22nd 05, 03:58 AM
Bob Miller

On 21 Jul 2005 05:21:18 -0700, "k2" wrote:

I remember when I was a youth there used to be loads of FM pirate radio
stations round our way (Sheffield, UK). All the latest underground
tunes were played - no commercial sh*t.

Nowadays there seems to be hardly any. What's the deal with that?

Me and my mates have been considering setting up our own FM station and
we've come across this site:

http://www.broadcastrepublic.co.uk

They look like professionals to us and their prices seem pretty good -
Transmitters from £280 and Complete Broadcast Packages from £600.

Anyone else used them?

Cheers,
k2

This doesn't directly address your question, but a really strange
story showed up in The Progressive. Clear Channel, the owner of about
1,200 radio stations in the U.S., tried to dupe listeners in Akron,
Ohio, by posing as an anti-corporate pirate radio station. "Via audio
trickery, Clear Channel made it sound as though some pirate radio
signals from 'Radio Free Ohio' were bleeding into several of the
stations it owns."

The 'pirate' signals were lashing out at corporate radio, and, of
course, there's no more corporate, conservative, right-wing owner of
radio stations in America than Clear Channel.

Weird.

Bob
k5qwg

Old August 16th 05, 01:09 PM
Steve Silverwood

[This followup was posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

In article .com,
says...
I remember when I was a youth there used to be loads of FM pirate radio
stations round our way (Sheffield, UK). All the latest underground
tunes were played - no commercial sh*t.

Nowadays there seems to be hardly any. What's the deal with that?

Me and my mates have been considering setting up our own FM station and
we've come across this site:

http://www.broadcastrepublic.co.uk

They look like professionals to us and their prices seem pretty good -
Transmitters from £280 and Complete Broadcast Packages from £600.

Anyone else used them?

Cheers,
k2

You may want to check the alt.radio.pirate and alt.pirate.radio
newsgroups for information from like-minded individuals. FYI.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA