Old August 9th 05, 06:17 PM
Cheesehead

Default Removal of Morse Code from Amateur License Requirements...

No matter what any of us think in a "purist" sense, even with code,
amateur radio has certainly changed over the decades. I'm a purist in
other areas. Like reading books instead of computer screens. And
using film along with digital imaging. And I can still do my math in
hex. Never practiced it in octal or split octal.

There was a time when a ham almost was certainly so knowledgable about
electronics as to be at the EE level of learning. And a *lot* of
discrtionary income. Today any bright person can learn the antenna
theory and go purchase a set with relative pocket change.

We may have to rethink what's at the basis of Amateur Radio. Is it the
fraternity?
Is it the public service? Is it the skill set? Or is it just the
frequencies? And how can be best support the art & craft we know,
maintain it, and continue as a unique and special medium of
communication.

Yes, I'm only a Tech. But observing changing times and making the best
and providing direction are important considerations. That makes it
more important than ever to let your voice be known to the FCC on these
matters. It's just like voting. Be heard and you will be influential.

My personal suggestion:
a) keep code, but 5wpm @ General & 20wpm @ Extra
b) Reallocate 220, 440, & 144 (maybe keep 144)
c) give Tech 6M, and leave the rest the same.

This would provide a lot of practical versatility and keep the CBers
out.

Just my 2c,

Collin
KC8TKA

Old August 9th 05, 08:40 PM
Roger Conroy

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The South African situation is:
Morse Code at 5wpm is one of the ways to get an unrestricted licence. Other
ways are logging 100 unique callsigns, building a working transmitter,
logging 50 hours of community service... there's one more that I can't think
of right now.

We have only 3 classes of licence.
The lower one's allows access to 6m and up as well as limited HF. This is
where you are If you've not completed one of the abovementined tests.
There are 2 written exams - the more technical one allows higher power.

73
Roger ZR3RC