Old September 12th 05, 01:29 PM
Win Heagy

Default Emergency HT for non HAM?

Hi,

I'd like to get a small, portable HT type radio for my wife (a non HAM)
in case phones, etc., fail. What can you recommend? It should be small
enough to carry daily, but get an honest 2-3 mile range (depending on
terrain).
We've tried several of the FSR type radios, but none get anywhere near the
advertised range. Any suggestions?

Please email to (remove SPAM)

Thanks,

Win

Old September 12th 05, 02:26 PM
Percival P. Cassidy

GMRS? Allegedly better range than FRS, but needs a (no-examination)
license that costs.

Perce

On 09/12/05 08:29 am Win Heagy tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Old September 12th 05, 05:44 PM
Dick

I think I would look at an MURS radio. They run two watts in the
150-160 Mhz range, and do not require a license. Recognize though,
that even with a 5-watt radio, you cannot be assured of 2-3 mile
range. We used 5-watt GMRS radios in our CERT organization, which was
only intended to cover our housing development from one end to
another. It's a little over a mile, but coverage was often spotty at
best. You are probably looking for something that doesn't exist. To
get reliable coverage over a 3-mile distance usually requires a
repeater, and that's a whole different ball game. Ever thought about
getting her a ham license? It's not that difficult now.

Dick - W6CCD

Old September 12th 05, 07:13 PM
Win Heagy

Ok...I guess more details are needed She works in Washington DC, I work a
few miles away. As you may know, over the past few years, DC has been,
shall we say, an area of interest with regard to emergencies. As we also
know,
from 4 years ago, cell phones were no help during the emergency. We have
text messaging, but that cannot necessarily be counted on either.

So, my original post still stands, but to be more specific, I'm talking
about
9/11 type emergencies. I'd like to have a backup communications method
when our familiar methods fail. I realize no communication method is
failsafe, but I just wanted to see if someone had any insight I may not have
considered. If you don't, know problem...thanks anyway.

Win

"Michael Black" wrote in message

"Win Heagy" ) writes:
Hi,

I'd like to get a small, portable HT type radio for my wife (a non HAM)
in case phones, etc., fail. What can you recommend? It should be small
enough to carry daily, but get an honest 2-3 mile range (depending on
terrain).
We've tried several of the FSR type radios, but none get anywhere near
the
advertised range. Any suggestions?

Please email to (remove SPAM)

Thanks,

Win

Huh?

People survived without having constant communication for eons. Now
suddenly a cellphone isn't good enough, people need backup?

Yes, emergencies will happen, but people your desire for a backup of
a cellphone is just way down the curve.

First you need an emergency, then you need the cellphones to fail,
then you need a need to communcate.

One thing missing from your post is what is she supposed to do with
this radio? You need someone at the other end, so are you saying
you'll always be that close to her so the two of you can talk? Or
are you hoping that she can call some random person to come and help
(which
may or may not happen?)?

Michael VE2BVW

Old September 12th 05, 08:27 PM
Steven L Umbach

All the two way communication devices I have seen give ranges that are at
best optimistic and then at only best possible conditions. The more power
the device has [all else being equal] the better your range though going
from 1 watt to 2 watts will not come close to doubling your range. I would
also look at devices that have multiple power levels because you want to
conserve power when you do not need full output. Having backup devices is
always better then nothing. Keep in mind that the type of communications
these devices use is "line of sight". If there is a hill between the two of
you range will be poor. If one person is much higher than the other and the
path is relatively clear the range can be very good. I have a modest
vertical antenna on top of my house at 35 feet above the ground for 146 mhz
and with it my range is over ten miles to other users on the ground and up
to about 50 miles for users with similar antenna set up. Directional "beam"
antennas can extend range dramatically [well over 100 miles] to other beam
antennas pointed at each other. With the built in antenna for my HT about a
mile is good for HT to HT communications at ground level.

So if you need to use a HT device try to get as high and in the clear as
possible or consider an outside antenna. I don't know if they make external
antenna devices for the consumer devices though one could be easily built if
need be. Even one in the attic of a house could extend the range quite a
bit. Otherwise consider getting your ham license. You do not need to learn
Morse code for the entrance license and the exam is fairly easy with books
that have the questions and answers. With a ham license you could then also
purchase higher powered FM mobile devices for your cars. Event without a
repeater with car to car using 50 watts FM your range should be at least a
couple miles due to the combination of higher power and a much better
antenna that would be used on the car. A car mobile possibly would also be
able to communicate with a HT on the ground within the range you need. A new
FM mobile radio can be purchased for well under $200 and there are
economical mag mount antennas that can be stored in the trunk until needed.
These antennas can be as little as a foot high. Good luck. --- Steve

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...xvrs/2800.html --- Yaesu FT
2800M. 65 watts on 2 meters for $159.95.

Old September 12th 05, 11:01 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Win Heagy wrote:
Ok...I guess more details are needed She works in Washington DC, I work a
few miles away. As you may know, over the past few years, DC has been,
shall we say, an area of interest with regard to emergencies. As we also
know,
from 4 years ago, cell phones were no help during the emergency. We have
text messaging, but that cannot necessarily be counted on either.

So, my original post still stands, but to be more specific, I'm talking
about
9/11 type emergencies. I'd like to have a backup communications method
when our familiar methods fail. I realize no communication method is
failsafe, but I just wanted to see if someone had any insight I may not have
considered. If you don't, know problem...thanks anyway.

I know this is herasy in this group, but you might want to consider getting
her a CB. It's cheap, it's easy to use and there are a lot of them around.

You might not be able to reach each other directly, but there is a good
chance that there will be someone around who can relay a message for you.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.
Old September 13th 05, 12:11 AM
mike

Michael Black wrote:
"Win Heagy" ) writes:

[...]

Should also mention that you need the batteries in the thing to be
charged. And you need to have it on you. Lugging around an extra pound
of useless radio day after day after day is gonna get old, so It'll
soon be on the shelf at home.

And the same thing will happen with your end.

And why do people think they need to communicate so urgently? She's
either OK or probably in no shape to use the radio. Unless you're
a medic or have her rare blood type, it can wait. It'll either be OK
or it won't. Knowing about it sooner won't change it.

Most people don't even NEED a cellphone. Just gives them something do
do so they don't have to pay attention to that boring driving to the
place they don't need to go in their SUV they use for hauling two bags
of groceries.
Just my opinion.
mike

One thing missing from your post is what is she supposed to do with
this radio? You need someone at the other end, so are you saying
you'll always be that close to her so the two of you can talk? Or
are you hoping that she can call some random person to come and help (which
may or may not happen?)?

Michael VE2BVW

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Old September 13th 05, 04:41 AM
KU2S

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:29:24 -0400, "Win Heagy" was
heard to say:

Hi,

I'd like to get a small, portable HT type radio for my wife (a non HAM)
in case phones, etc., fail. What can you recommend? It should be small
enough to carry daily, but get an honest 2-3 mile range (depending on
terrain).
We've tried several of the FSR type radios, but none get anywhere near the
advertised range. Any suggestions?

Please email to (remove SPAM)

Thanks,

Win

Oddly enough, nobody suggested having her earn her Amateur Radio
ticket and getting a 2-meter handheld!

My wife did it with three days of studying. To this day she retains
maybe 2% of the testing material, but at least she remembered it long
enough to get her ticket - and that was when you had to take TWO
written tests for Tech!
Raymond Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9257
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6023
Old September 13th 05, 04:58 AM
Dick

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:41:07 GMT, KU2S wrote:

Oddly enough, nobody suggested having her earn her Amateur Radio
ticket and getting a 2-meter handheld!

My wife did it with three days of studying. To this day she retains
maybe 2% of the testing material, but at least she remembered it long
enough to get her ticket - and that was when you had to take TWO
written tests for Tech!
Raymond Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9257
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6023

Even more odd. You didn't read my post when I suggested exactly that.

dick

Hurricane Katrina HF Response and Recovery Frequencies General Johnson Jameson Shortwave 5 September 6th 05 10:33 AM
Katrina Freqs John Kasupski Policy 0 September 2nd 05 12:02 PM
Amateur Radio Gulf States Hurricane Nets Guide A.Pismo Clam Shortwave 0 September 1st 05 10:39 PM
Amateurs Handle Emergency Comms in Wake of Hurricane Ivan Mike Terry Broadcasting 6 September 29th 04 04:45 AM
Amateurs Handle Emergency Comms in Wake of Hurricane Ivan Mike Terry Shortwave 6 September 29th 04 04:45 AM