Old September 13th 05, 06:25 AM

Default how can we get 110V and 220V in our homes in Saudi Arabia

I want to ask how can we get 110V and 220V in our homes in Saudi Arabia

Or in other words
what is the wires that inters our home ????
I heared in this group about 120 and 0 and -120 and, but these are DC
and we get AC in our home and according to my knolage in AC we dont
have negative or positive because this is an altranating current .
PLEASE ANSWER ME WITH A CLEARE EXPLANATION
THANK YOU....................................

Old September 13th 05, 10:56 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article .com,
wrote:

I want to ask how can we get 110V and 220V in our homes in Saudi Arabia

Or in other words
what is the wires that inters our home ????
I heared in this group about 120 and 0 and -120 and, but these are DC
and we get AC in our home and according to my knolage in AC we dont
have negative or positive because this is an altranating current .

In the U.S. the power system is 120 volts 60Hz. To improve efficency most
homes are powered by transformers that have a 240 volt output with a
grounded center tap. So two wires come into the house with 240 volts
across them, while the outlets are wired with one side connected to a
"hot" wire and the other connected to ground at a central location.

Some applicances such as ovens, clothes dryers, large air conditioners,
heaters, etc are wired across both wires and run on 240 volts.

In Saudi Arabia things are different. The power coming in used the
European standard of 220 volts 50 Hz. Most countries are migrating to a
230 volt standard that the E.U. is using (a compromise between England's
240 volts and Europe's 220 volts).

What I don't know is if Saudi Arabia uses the traditional two hot wires
with no reference to ground, or it uses one hot and one neutral (central
ground) like other places.

Most likely, if you want 120 volts 50Hz, you can buy a transformer. There
are two kinds, an autotransformer (one winding with a center tap) that
has poor regulation, but is much cheaper and a true transformer that
has two windings. For electronic equipment, a true transformer is better.

If you want to run a refrigerator, a transformer with a 100 volt output
is better because the motor is less efficent with the 50Hz current and
the lower voltage prevents it from stressing itself.

Note that the are some rare devices (mostly made before 1990) that are
sensative to the frequency of the incoming electricity. These are
things like clocks, hifi equipment,VCRs etc. They will not function properly
with a transformer.

Note that TV systems are different and you will not be able to use a
120 volt (U.S.) TV set no matter what you do to watch local TV. There
are "multisystem" TV sets and VCRs, but they are all dual voltage,
check for a switch.

DVD's are a different story.

Since this is a ham radio group after all, if you are asking about
ham radio equipment you would, IMHO, be best off buying equipment that
runs on 13.8 volts (also known as 12 volts) and getting a proper power
supply locally.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM
Old September 13th 05, 10:56 AM
Brenda Ann

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to ask how can we get 110V and 220V in our homes in Saudi Arabia

Or in other words
what is the wires that inters our home ????
I heared in this group about 120 and 0 and -120 and, but these are DC
and we get AC in our home and according to my knolage in AC we dont
have negative or positive because this is an altranating current .
PLEASE ANSWER ME WITH A CLEARE EXPLANATION
THANK YOU....................................

Voltages in Saudi Arabia are nominally the same as on the North American
continent. This is to say, 127 volts for most appliances, 220 volts for
heavy appliances. Both at 60 Hz line frequency. They use the same appliance
plugs as N. America for their 127 volt service, and the Euro round two-pin
plug for 220, as well as a larger plug for heavier appliances that has two
flat horizontal pins and a round pin for ground or neutral.

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Old September 13th 05, 08:41 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , I wrote:
In the U.S. the power system is 120 volts 60Hz....

In Saudi Arabia things are different. The power coming in used the
European standard of 220 volts 50 Hz. Most countries are migrating to a
230 volt standard that the E.U. is using (a compromise between England's
240 volts and Europe's 220 volts).

I was partialy correct. :-)

Saudi Arabia has both 120v 60Hz systems that use U.S. type plugs and 240v
(stated on one web site as 60Hz) systems that use in some places German
("Shucko") and in other places U.K. plugs.

Geoff.

Old September 14th 05, 05:16 AM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:56:34 +0900, Brenda Ann wrote:

Voltages in Saudi Arabia are nominally the same as on the North American
continent. This is to say, 127 volts for most appliances, 220 volts for
heavy appliances. Both at 60 Hz line frequency.

Sounds to me, an electrical power engineer, that they are using a
three-phase 220V (nominal) secondary distribution, with 127 V
provided by phase-to-neutral and 220 V provided by phase-to-phase.
The neutral is not derived from a center-tap on the phase-to-phase
secondary (which is really single-phase if only two phase leads are
provided) but is "carried through" from a three-phase wye
arrangement.

Although this is fairly common in US commercial d industrial
occupancies (277/480V is more common) where the lower voltage is
used for lighting and the higher voltage used for machinery, it is
not permitted in the US for residential occupancies, and IIRC there
are severe circulating third-harmonic current problems if the
secondary is a delta rather than a wye.

This is entirely different from a single-phase 220V center-tap
secondary distribution which is standard in North America.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane