Old September 21st 05, 11:06 PM

Default old YAESU FT815 - no sound, no xmit - got manual?

so over 10 years ago I got this ft-815 - a UHF handheld, small and
decent - and best of all i was able to mod it so i could listen to my
local PD. i used it off and on for a few years and then got
sidetracked by other gear and other things.

eventually, i had lost the battery's charger (battery was FNB-25), so I
just used my Alinco DJ-580T thinking I'd eventually get the charger for
the FNB25 - but i never did.

recently I dug both radios out, and got some cables and so on from
radio shack and got them both pwoered up. BUT - While the Yaesu will
actually still charge (from the DC Power port up top & no idea for how
long it will hold) - I cannot get much sound out of it, its almost like
its being told to broadcast at 10% output. I also hooked up a
speaker-mic thinking the speaker was rotted or soemthing, same result.

but it beeps, and tones, and so on, I lost the manual, so I've been
playing with it - set some channels, and tried to xmit - that was bad
as well, it barely sent through static.

no matter what i do, there's an S in the bottom of the screen, and it
blinks when i set channels or do other things - i cant help but wonder
if its some kinda squelch which is keeping the sound muted.

when i power it up, it seems to work fine, when i press the transmit
the light will go red just for 1/2 a second, then it still acts like
its xmitting, but the light goes out and only quiet static on the other
end - and the receive is really muted.

IDEAS ANYONE? before I pitch it, I'd love some ideas - if no one has
any, I guess i'll put it on eBay for parts or give it to someone who
wants to fix the Alinco's rapid charger - any comments accepted...

richard
N0TZC

PS - if anyone has a copy of rht FT815 Manual - please let me know or
email it! Thanks!

FA: Vintage Yaesu FL-200-B Transmitter Original Manual Radioal Boatanchors 0 May 15th 05 03:25 PM
Service manual for Yaesu FT-290R Rami Vainio Homebrew 2 February 9th 05 11:13 PM
WTD: Manual for Yaesu FT690 RII Nick Marsh Swap 0 June 28th 04 03:23 AM
WTD Yaesu Ft 707 manual W8IRQ Swap 0 March 23rd 04 10:01 PM
WANTED - FT-2500M Yaesu Manual Dustin Kellogg Swap 1 February 22nd 04 12:36 PM