Old October 5th 05, 04:42 PM
larry

Default replacing internal lithium battery in htx-202

Greetings

Recently I aquired a used htx-202.. when turning it on, I got an error
message...the previous user told me that that indicated that the internal
battery needed replacing...

This morning I proceeded to open up the radio to get at the internal
battery...

Not having any step by step instructions, on how to do it, I tried some 'by
guess and by golly'. I removed the 5 scews at the back and nothing seemed
to give... I then removed the 4 screws that hold the bottom (-) plate onto
the main case... Nothing gave...

I then found two more screws on the side near the 'F' key and nothing
gave...

I couldn't find anything else to unscrew so I gave the back and front halves
a little more pull apart effort and the two halves finally came appart....

I then gently separated it, like a book, and openned up the two chassis.....

Inside the speaker half, I found the lithium battery...

It appears to be soldered in place.. the left wire goes behind a piece of
metal while the right wire appears to be soldered to something...

Does anyone know how I can safely remove the battery... I tried to measure
it's voltage but the battery appears to be covered in some kind of
plastic... anyway I get a zero voltage...

And does anyone know the part number, of the battery, so I can get another
one..

Also, is there another source, other than radio shack, in case they no
longer sell those batteries.....

Larry ve3fxq

Old October 5th 05, 11:03 PM
Brenda Ann

http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/htx-202_err1.htm

Old October 5th 05, 11:46 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article 43440aba.3733332@chupacabra, Justín Käse wrote:
I believe Icom made those for Radio Shack.

That's an "urban legend". They were made by Maxon. They used the same
batteries as the early ICOM HT's, but that's where the similarites
end.

When I had to replace an internal Li battery with soldered connections
in an Alinco awhile back, I went to a place called Batteries Plus and
they electro-welded the leads on a button cell for me.
http://www.batteriesplus.com/
I don't know if there are any outlets in Ontario Canada however.

It's a standard 3v lithium button cell. You can replace it with any similar
one, there is plenty of room. The battery needs to be insulated. I just
used a regular one, soldered wires to it (tricky because if you heat
it to much it leaks) covered it with electrical tape and soldered new
wires onto the old ones where I cut them off the battery.

73,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.
Old October 7th 05, 06:33 PM
Fred McKenzie

In article , "larry"
wrote:

Greetings

Recently I aquired a used htx-202.. when turning it on, I got an error
message...the previous user told me that that indicated that the internal
battery needed replacing...

Larry-

It only took a few minutes at Radioshack.com to find a user manual and a
parts list. Parts list is at
http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc30/30374.htm

73, Fred, K4DII