Old October 12th 05, 11:50 PM
PowerHouse Communications

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

I have never had UPS miss the delivery time they said they would
meet. I have never had UPS lie about delivery misses. And no
matter how heavy the package, they always bring it to my door
(and use safe methods for moving heavy packages.)

You must just be lucky in your location. As with most everyone here, I've
had the opposite experience. The one that really sticks out in my mind was
when I was watching the tracking data on the UPS website. The package was
two (2) days beyond scheduled delivery, so I checked the site. Package was
on time up until it reached the distribution center in, I believe it's Ohio,
where, instead of shipping it to me, it was shipped three states over in the
wrong direction, then shipped back to Ohio where it finally started it's
journey back to me. Ended up being 4 days late!

There are many more horror stories I could tell, and not just my own.
Friend of mine shipped a $1800.00 Home Theater Receiver (weighed between 50
and 70 pounds) from Michigan to California. Exceptionally well packaged, in
original packaging, then double boxed besides that. When it arrived, the
outer-most box was gone (it arrived only single boxed, beside the original),
with the original label and remnants of outer box taped to the inner box.
That box was mutilated, and the receiver? Well, lets say it had a nice
"leaning tower" look to it, along with all but one of the circuit boards
being literally shattered...

And then he had to fight for almost 4 months before he actually got his
insurance claim. They were only going to give him a portion of the insured
value, because they claimed that the contents weren't worth more that that.
Well, it was, BEFORE UPS got their hands on it...

Old October 13th 05, 12:42 AM
Chuck Harris

mike murphy wrote:

The ups ppl are union, so they don't care about customer service

Perhaps, but they are also employee owners, so I think they do care
about customer service more than you know. I have dealt with UPS in
two different cities, and out in the country, and they have always done
the great job for me. I am certain there are regional problems, I just
haven't witnessed them here.

-Chuck
Old October 13th 05, 12:45 AM
Chuck Harris

PowerHouse Communications wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

I have never had UPS miss the delivery time they said they would
meet. I have never had UPS lie about delivery misses. And no
matter how heavy the package, they always bring it to my door
(and use safe methods for moving heavy packages.)

You must just be lucky in your location.

Could be, then I have been lucky in three different locations,
and for hundreds of packages, over more than 20 years.

-Chuck
Old October 13th 05, 03:13 AM
Jack O'Neill

-=H=- wrote:

Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

73,
Dean K5DH

HI, I agree!!!! I always use FedEx Ground. It IS much cheaper AND
faster than UPS.
OH, one more thing.
I truly believe FedEx treats YOUR package much better than UPS!!!
UPS does not seen to care much how much "bouncing" so to speak YOUR item
takes.
I'm sure every company has these animals dropping your fragile items.
Its just UPS stuff
gets broken MORE often.
THAT A BOY FedEX..... Put em out of business!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 13th 05, 05:49 AM
hinkeydo

Jack O'Neill wrote:
-=H=- wrote:

[...]

I guess to sum up the service ups gives or doesnt give two words come to
mind..........U P S S U C K S ! ! ! !

Old October 13th 05, 08:58 AM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:25:31 GMT, hinkeydo
wrote:

-=H=- wrote:
Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

73,
Dean K5DH

I would have to agree that my luck with UPS has been less than
satisfactory. but with fedex my stuff gets there a lot quicker and
costs less money. i have even sent msr 2000 repeaters across country
with fedex for only about 48 bucks, but if i sent them with ups, they
would be destroyed in no time. i have a friend that works at the local
ups and he tells me that the sure fire way to have something destroyed
is to mark it as fragile or handle with care. seems the guys in the
warehouse love to kick the hell out of boxes like that.

UPS has been OK with me, except when you haver to talk to them
on the phone. In one case, they kept calling back to my house. I had
received one of their calls there while home for a doctor's
appointment and told them not to call there again. No such luck. Then
you can never talk to the same idiot twice. They introduce themselves
as "account executives", but these cheap-ass "executives" can't accept
an incoming call -- you get the luck of the draw from whatever
connects them.

Then the dorks go tappity-tap on their keyboards as you
describe the problem, but the info never gets to the next dork you
talk to -- it's a brand new day and you have to explain the whole
damned thing again.

Last year, a friend was getting DSL and the equipment was
UPSed to her. On delivry day, she looked at the website during the day
(Friday). Late in the day, it was recorded as "no such address". She
lives on a short stub (three houses worth) of a street which had a
section removed for a throughway -- twenty years ago -- and half the
time, they still lose it.

We then told them to deliver it instead to the UPS facility
near where she worked -- on Monday, so she could pck it up at lunch
time. I did that part for her. The wackos said they had to deliver to
an address. I asked why they didn't know the address of their own
facility ten miles north. So they changed their story to they couldn't
just send it to another facility -- it had to be a house or business
address. Since she had just started a new job and didn't want it
coming to work on her third day there, I told them to just divert it
to my address 25 miles farther north. They agreed to do that.

In the end, I went to her place to accept a completely
different furniture shipment (real trucking company for this one) on
Monday. When I arrived, the UPS package was sitting on her doorstep.
To hell with any instructions UPS had agreed to.

Thirty of those bozos would have a cumulative IQ of fifteen.

Old October 13th 05, 09:05 AM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:18:00 -0500, "chef@dennys"
wrote:

Fed-Ex Ground has always welcomed packages from private individuals, while
UPS would rather do business with business. UPS finally saw the light over
the last year or two due to Ebay, but they've did too little too late.

I've used Fed-Ex Ground for at least 5 years since UPS started opening and
inspecting packages accepted via their counters.

A few years back, on salon.com, there was a story of a woman
who went to France and had a major museum ship a rolled-up picture of
a famous painting of a nude, to her son, a fine arts major, at home in
the US.

UPS in the US opened it, determined it to be obscene by their
standards and sent it back to the museum store.

The woman checked shipping policy with all the majors -- DHL,
Airborne, UPS and FedEx. All except FedEx said they'd have done the
same. FedEx alone said that, absent a court order, they wouldn't open
a shipment which was properly packaged.

The UPS counter folks
around here are extremely rude... in fact one of them is so bad just
mentioning her name to about anyone across the region who has been to their
counter and they know who you're referring to. Go to a Fed-Ex counter and
you're greeted with a smile. Also love their Ship Manager web processing.
Even when there's a line of people at the Fed-Ex counter, just throw your
packages on the desk... say "they're done"... and walk out. UPS lost my
business long ago.

. ..

Old October 13th 05, 09:11 AM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:42:13 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

mike murphy wrote:

The ups ppl are union, so they don't care about customer service

Perhaps, but they are also employee owners, so I think they do care
about customer service more than you know. I have dealt with UPS in
two different cities, and out in the country, and they have always done
the great job for me. I am certain there are regional problems, I just
haven't witnessed them here.

-Chuck

Employee ownership is a crock of crap. If an average employee
were to do something which made the stock go up a dollar, he'd get
nearly nothing for his few measly (purchased) shares, but the fat cats
at the top would each get a windfall for their 200,000 (given to them)
shares.

Apropos rec.radio.*.* -- that's a hell of an amplification
factor.
Old October 13th 05, 11:17 AM
David Stinson

Guido Sarducci from NYC wrote:

Don't spend a lot of money on those self adhesive
ship labels, instead use regular paper and get
one of those glue sticks that the kids use at school,
that turns your plain paper label into a stick on label
for a few cents !

I advise against this;
I did a mass-mailing using "glue sticks"
to attach the plain-paper mailing labels.
A large percentage of them fell off in transit.
Spend the extra money for good labels;
one lost package will cost a lot more than you save
using "glue sticks."
IMHO, of course,
Dave S.

Old October 13th 05, 11:19 AM
David Stinson

hinkeydo wrote:
.... seems the guys in the
warehouse love to kick the hell out of boxes like that.

I'll never understand the Union attitude:
"Lets see how much damage we can do to the company
that puts bread in our mouths and clothes on our kids."