Old October 24th 05, 05:57 PM

Default 02 Grand Cherokee, IC-208H, antennas, mounts... sugestions?

Hello all, I got my ticket over 10 years ago but until recently never
started to take things seriously. A no-code tech, I'm now studying for
my 5wpm test and hoping that I can expand past my SW radio over time.
For now, I'd like to move past my old Alinco DJ-580, and get myself
something mobile for the around town communications during drive time.

Here's where I sit - I wanted a dual band radio that I would also equip
as an alphanumeric scanner - I didnt' want to end up with 5 full size
radios strapped across the underside of my dash, but instead a simple
mount of a detachable face that could be easily read. I think I've
found this in the Icom IC-208H, it can hold a lot of memories, and has
an alpha display so I can easily view who I'm listening too. I've seen
some good reviews on eHam.net, so unless someone has other ideas, I
think thats where I'm headed.

Next - and what appears to be the bigger problem - the antenna. At
first I was thinking I'd just go glass mount, but since then I've read
articles about their poor performance and concerns about their
operation through modern car windows that are often tinted with metal.
I was unable to find any information on the 02 Cherokee to see if it
had the bad kind of tint, but other postings I read about guys who
notice no change in results after losing the glass-mount whip, and the
208h's 55w output (and my being unable to find a glass mount that could
handle more than 50w) cause me to think that wasn't the best route.

From there I thought about Comet's EX104B, rated at 100w it was small

and could do the job - then the mounting became the issue. The 02
Cherokee is SEVERELY lacking in 'lip' locations to mount an antenna.
The rear door opens and its top side folds inward in a way making a lip
mount impossible, and the body/roof side has no lip at all. I thought
about using the lip along the side edge of the rear door with a Comet
CP-5m mount, but the way the rear window glass sits over it, there's
really no way I can see to attach a mount to it.

So, I'm back to glass mount (and hoping the extra 5w doesnt kill it)
---- unless I want to go with a mount for a luggage rail, or drill
holes.

No holes.

And I'm not wanting to the the luggage mount because I don't want 18
inches of exposed wire out side my car - which is why we're also not
going mag mount.

I had thoguht of the 'window clip' that I saw at Universal Radio, as it
seems like a good way to get an antenna into a location where you'd use
a glass mount, but has an actual wire - however I havent been able to
find any opinions on it. I also found what I thought was a Larsen
mount that was adhesive, but haven't found much info on that either.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on mounts and antennas - heh, and if
any of you have put a remote head radio in your 02 Grand Cherokee, send
me a pic of where you mounted that head! Any suggestions on any of
this are appreciated, and info on posted pics of installs encouraged -
thanks again.

Richard
N0TZC

Old October 24th 05, 06:37 PM
Dick

I used a glass-mount on a rear, side window of our '93 Jeep Grand
Cherokee for several years. Worked great. Just make sure you use a
quality glass-mount (Larsen) and avoid any dark band in the glass. I
have been operating mobile for 54 years so have a wee bit of
experience with mobile antennas.

73, Dick - W6CCD

Old October 24th 05, 07:13 PM

I'll look into the Larsen glass mounts - can they handle the 55w output
of the IC-208h?

Old October 24th 05, 11:47 PM
Robert Sherrod

Hello,

I just earned my ticket and have been researching IC-208H installations
for my '98 Chrysler Sebring coupe. As for antenna mounts, I don't know
of one that will help you. For the display mount, follow the link below
for several mounts that don't require drilling holes in the dash.

http://www.lidomounts.com/page/page/1478816.htm

For the main unit, it can be placed under your seat or tucked away under
the dash or in the trunk.

Later,

Bobby
KC9IHK

Old October 25th 05, 12:22 AM
Leanne

"Robert Sherrod" wrote in message
Hello,

I just earned my ticket and have been researching IC-208H

installations
for my '98 Chrysler Sebring coupe. As for antenna mounts, I

don't know
of one that will help you. For the display mount, follow the

link below
for several mounts that don't require drilling holes in the

dash.

http://www.lidomounts.com/page/page/1478816.htm

For the main unit, it can be placed under your seat or tucked

away under
the dash or in the trunk.

In the motohome, we mounted the display unit on the dash with
wide velcro strips.

Leanne
W1WXS

Old October 25th 05, 12:28 AM
Dick

It's rated for 50 watts, which is probably conservative. I don't
think it would be a problem.

Dick

Old October 25th 05, 12:19 AM
Leanne

wrote in message
ups.com...

Next - and what appears to be the bigger problem - the

antenna. At
first I was thinking I'd just go glass mount, but since then

I've read
articles about their poor performance and concerns about their
operation through modern car windows that are often tinted

with metal.
I was unable to find any information on the 02 Cherokee to see

if it
had the bad kind of tint, but other postings I read about guys

who
notice no change in results after losing the glass-mount whip,

and the
208h's 55w output (and my being unable to find a glass mount

that could
handle more than 50w) cause me to think that wasn't the best

route.

From there I thought about Comet's EX104B, rated at 100w it

was small
[...]

I use a Comet RS720 mounted on the rear of my hood, across from
the broadcast antenna, along with the SB12 dual band antenna. I
can't remember which cable assembly
that I used, but probably 3D4M.

Leanne
W1WXS

Old October 25th 05, 01:18 AM
Bob Miller

On 24 Oct 2005 09:57:40 -0700, wrote:

For mounts, try
http://www.hamstick.com/ They have a bunch of
different kinds, and may give you some ideas.

bob
k5qwg

Old October 25th 05, 06:41 PM
Vito

wrote
Hello all, ......

... I think I've found this in the Icom IC-208H, ...

My wife has an IC-208H in her Sebring Convert and loves it.

We use mag mounts on our old Cherokee, and everything else for 20 years.
There is plenty of coupling at VHF/UHF for them to work well..