Old March 25th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
2Thirty

Default Looking for help with ADI AT-600 radio

Thank you in advance for looking at this post.

I have been trying to get my wife interested in getting her license for
years, and have finally talked her in to studying. I thought I would
pick up a dual band radio to surprise her, and like an idiot I bought
one from eBay. I picked the ADI AT-600 because it was inexpensive and
the display was large enough for her to see.

The ad said "as is" but also said VHF and UHF bands worked. I don't
mind weak batteries and a few scratches, and that's about what I
expected. When I received the radio the UHF worked fine but the VHF
receive was only static. The VHF transmit worked fine.

When I power the radio up, and tune the VHF to a frequency.. say
145.000, and turn another HT or base to the same frequency, I get a
signal on the two other radios. About an S7 on the base. Tune the
AT-600 off frequency and the other radios receive nothing. The xmit led
doesn't indicate it transmitting. With the rig apart, tapping on a few
selected smc caps and transistor produces tapping audio in the other
receivers. (mic isn't in the same side as the tapped parts)

Transmitting from either radio to the AT-600, it doesn't receive
anything.

I am going to get in to this rig and repair it, just out of principal.

A kind gentleman in in California was gracious enough to fax and mail
me schematics he had for an HTX-204, which is the same radio made for
Radio Shack by ADI. (One of the only references to repairs for this
radio on the Internet. He was offering the schematic to someone else
looking for it and was nice enough to respond to my request.. still
nice guys out there..)

So my question to anyone who may have the time and possible knowledge
of this radio is... after checking the grounds and obvious problems,
what would be a "high probability" section to start looking at.

Again, thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

Jim
K4FZ