Old April 4th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default audio feed back

Hi I have had my ft-847 for 5yrs lately ive been told the audio sounds
like crap? unreadable,
I use a md-100 and the std mic still with no diferance
Thanks Dave VK4XES

Old April 4th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dave Platt

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi I have had my ft-847 for 5yrs lately ive been told the audio sounds
like crap? unreadable,

I use a md-100 and the std mic still with no diferance

Problems of this sort are often attributed to RF coming out of the
transmitter, and getting back into the microphone-audio circuit and
being detected. You can end up with a very nasty-sounding feedback-
like hash on your signal.

RF pickup might be through the microphone and its cable, or (I
believe) through the system power supply.

Any such problems suggest that you may have a significant amount of RF
voltage floating around in the shack/vehicle and on the radio chassis.
The causes can vary. If you're feeding a long-wire/random-wire
antenna and are bringing the wire into the shack, you're likely to
have these "RF in the shack" problems, and switching to a balanced
antenna fed by coax or a good balanced line might reduce or eliminate
the problems. If you're already using a coax or balanced feed, you
may want to check the condition of the antenna - something may have
come unplugged or have broken.

If you're operating HF-mobile, check all of your ground connections
between rig, chassis, and antenna. If a ground connection has come
loose or has corroded, you could be getting significant amounts of RF
current flow where you really don't want it.

You could try adding a few ferrite beads around the mic lead (just
before it connects to the rig) and to the +12 power supply line, but
this is sort of a band-aid and doesn't really address the cause of the
problem.

Since the problem has just started occurring recently, and you've been
using the rig for years, I'd guess that some wire or connection has
come loose or has corroded somewhere, and that a good check, clean,
and tightening may resolve the problem.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Hosting the Jade Warrior home page: