Old May 5th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicate with other.

In article . net,
s (known to some as Silent Key) scribed...

What's the purpose of ham radio, To have fun talking about rigs and
weather, or to be able to communicate?

The Amateur Radio Service serves many purposes. Here's a relevant
quote from Part 97.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

§97.1 Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an
amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the
following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to
the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service,
particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules
which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and
technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service
of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance
international goodwill.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I sure as heck don't see anything in there AGAINST talking about
"rigs and weather," or anything else within reason.

What I do see, in paragraph (c), is the use of the word
'advancing' together with 'communications and technical phases of the
art.'

That, to my eyes, says "value the past, but look to the future."
The simple truth is that, while CW remains a mode that would probably be
usable under nearly any conditions, it is no longer necessary as a
license requirement.

To be able to communicate when no one else can communicate and to advance
radio knowledge & theory?

Exactly. The advance of radio knowledge and theory over the past
two or three decades has reduced CW's importance as an operating mode.
It still has value, to be sure, but (again) I don't see any need to make
it a license requirement.

What does part 97 say about this? Why does the ARRL ignore it?

What evidence do you offer that they're ignoring anything?

When CW is lost, new hams will be just like CB'ers and SWL's, or some
other lower life form of radio hobbiest. You name it.

Well, then, I guess I'll be a "lower life form" in your eyes,
because I haven't ever really had that much interest in CW as an
operating mode. Too slow and frustrating for me, and I've not used it in
over 20 years, since I got my first license (in 1977 -- look up WD6EOS
in an old Callbook) and did exactly one CW QSO on the air. After that, I
went over to voice and RTTY modes exclusively.

Others have been predicting the "Death of Ham Radio" for years. We
heard it when the Internet came to be well known, we heard it when
Echolink and IRLP started to catch on, and we're hearing it again with
the potential elimination of Morse knowledge as a license requirement.

But you know what? The Amateur Radio Service is alive and well, at
least in my part of the country. Lots of activity on HF AND the local
repeaters, still a fair number of CW QSO's on the bands (this from
tuning around just last week), and the local repeaters continued to work
very well indeed after the Nisqually Quake of 2001. I know. I was here
for it.

When the FCC writes to me, and tells me to turn in my license and
cease operating because the Amateur Service is no more, THEN I will
believe that it's dead.

Until then, let me say thank you for sharing your opinion with the
group.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)