Old May 5th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicate with other.

On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:50:00 -0400, lsmyer wrote:

I know this is a topic that causes the fur to fly, but I'll add my own
personal experience.

I have wanted a ham license for thirty years. But I have a learning
disability that makes it impossible for me to learn a second language.
I've tried Spanish, French, and Morse code, and I failed miserably at
all three. But even if they eliminated the code, I still wouldn't be
able to pass the license test because I am also unable to look at a
picture or diagram and convert that visual information into words or
ideas. So that pretty much eliminates my ability to read circuit
diagrams and process the appropriate information into something usable.

I truly admire everyone who has earned their license.

It is a shame that you are unable to enjoy this wonderful hobby. I
look at it this way. I would have loved to be a great tenor, but I
can't sing a note. As a child, I wanted very much to be an airline
pilot, but I get sick as a dog in aircraft and boats. In high school,
I would have given anything to be a football star, but I was too light
and slow. We have to live with the cards we are dealt. Some get four
aces, and some don't even get a pair. We just have to make the best
of what we are given.

As an ARRL VE, I should point out that you do not have to know the
code to get an amateur radio license. The test for technician is only
35 questions, and you can miss 9. That's only 70% you have to pass.
You should be able to get 70% without worrying too much about pictures
or diagrams. I suspect that you are not giving yourself enough
credit. You stated your position with more clarity than most on these
newsgroups. That tells me that your ability to think is pretty good.
I believe that you would be able to pass the Techician test without
any problem. Have you tried the practice tests on the Internet?

Dick - W6CCD