Old May 30th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Back-up rig opinions?

My main rig is a Kenwood TS-850S. I am considering getting a back up
rig for it.

Main interest is cw. Internal Antenna Tuner is nice. Bands higher
than 10m not that important.

What models do you recommend that: represent good value, reliable, can
still be serviced (if used)?

Will appreciate opinions on this.

Thanks & 73,
Russ K3Pi

Old May 30th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob W7AVK

Russ - Might suggest the Elecraft K2. http://www.elecraft.com In its
simplest form an outstanding CW rig. Although its kit, some used units
are starting to be found as over 5,000 have been sold.

Also take a look at the K1 and KX1.

73 Bob W7AVK

Old May 30th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

My back-up rig of choice is my TS-440S/AT, and the back-up for that is a
TS-130S. my main HF rig is a TS-480HX :-)

oups.com...

Old May 30th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Steve

Why not keep it in the Kenwood family? IMO, the
best value in a lowband rigs these days are the
TS-520, 820, and 830. These are all older rigs but
are repairable, lots of good info is available about them,
and they are inexpensive. No internal tuner though.
Good stability and performance as well.

My every day rig is a TS-830S, but I use an -820S
as well.

Steve W6SSP

Old May 30th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ron

Just find yourself another TS-850. They are nice radios and retain
there value. Watch out for TS-440S they have numerous problems that
can be fix but something that you might not what to do. If you want to
stay in the Kenwood line TS-450 are selling fairly cheap and are a nice
radio and small or go for a Icon if you want to switch like and one of
the 706 series radios.

Old May 31st 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I appreciate all the ideas so far.

I have requested the ten-tec list.

In reading reviews about various Ten-Tec models, there is frequent
mention about failing PTO's and the need for rebuilding. How
concerned should I be about this? Are certain models problematic in
this regard than others?

In terms of various Ten-Tec models....any particular ones "stand out"
over others?

I do have a TS-520S and agree that it is a very solid and reliable
choice. It is in reasonable shape and I may put some restoration
dollars into that as a "back up #2." I pulled it out of the closet
after 10 years and fired it up yesterday. Works well on cw. Amazing
how well it has held up after about 30 yrs. That was one expensive
piece of gear for me when I was in college!

Russ K3Pi