Old June 7th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

Default So, how do you decide where to buy your gear?

no store within 300 milesof me... I watch the hamfests, and know what
suppliers will be there (I prefer Memphis Amateur Supply), I will call them
and give them a "shopping list" for the hamfest... I pay the hamfest prices,
don't pay sales tax or shipping. I got a TS-480HX for $900 like that. Its
also a good idea to peruse the other suppliers web sites about 3 weeks
before Christmas for sales also... Got 3 Yeasu FT-7800R dual banders for
$225 each, and free shipping to boot.

-n6ojn

"Steve N." wrote in message

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
They all carry the same stuff, they all charge the same prices and
I assume they all have the same ability to stick an address label on
a box and hand it to the UPS guy.

So, other than the obvious need to minimize sales tax, what
contributes to your decision?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

No store nearby. Last time I bought, I went for price since they all do
NOT
have the same price. There are specials. You can, of course play the
"but
so-and-so will-sell-it-fir-$x, how-about-you? ploy. There is
consideration
for supporting the local guy or your favorite, however, if you have one.

73, Steve, K9DCI

Old June 7th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Topaz305RK

Not having a store anywhere nearby, nothing is nearby in Northeast Montana,
I not only need a good price but a place that can service what they sell.
Have always had good prices and great support and service from Burghardt's.
They always seem to have what I need, new radio or parts for older stuff.
Terrific staff that is always willing to answer questions or give advice.

Just my two cents worth.

Old June 7th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
-=H=-

Hi Bert,

For the small stuff (books, coax, replacement whips for my
HF mobile antenna, etc) I buy from our local store, Texas
Towers. For the big stuff, to avoid paying 8.5% sales tax,
I shop the 1-800 numbers and web sites. I generally end up
buying from Ham Radio Outlet (low price, excellent service,
and free shipping on orders over $100). I bought an Icom
756 Pro 3 earlier this year from Marc's Amateur Radio in
Florida for $2,850 (best price I could find that week). If
I'd bought that rig locally, the sales tax would have been
$242! I like to support the local shops, but the tax is a
killer. Besides, stores like Texas Towers do a lot of mail
order business from people like me in other states who don't
want to pay their local sales tax. They aren't hurting in
that regard.

73,
Dean K5DH

In article , says...

Old June 7th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

Bert,
Wait for a hamfest to come around, find out what suppliers from out of your
state are supposed to be there, call them and give them your shopping list.
They should have it at the hamfest for you. no shipping, no tax, and the
"discounted" hamfest price. :-)

-n6ojn

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(-=H=-) wrote in
:

I bought an Icom 756 Pro 3 earlier this year from Marc's Amateur
Radio in Florida for $2,850 (best price I could find that week).

Now, that's an interesting piece of info because it's the 756ProIII
that I'm looking at.

I'd checked every on-line dealer that I could find and every one that
advertised a price on line (almost all do) showed exactly the same
price of $2999.99, although a few didn't explicitly mention free
shipping.

I'm in no hurry, so I guess I'll search harder :-)

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Old June 7th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob Miller

On 06 Jun 2006 16:30:20 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

They all carry the same stuff, they all charge the same prices and
I assume they all have the same ability to stick an address label on
a box and hand it to the UPS guy.

So, other than the obvious need to minimize sales tax, what
contributes to your decision?

For me, bigger is better -- I figure they got big for a reason.

Amateur Electronic Supply in Minneapolis ships promptly when I put an
order in -- I get the gear in days.

They pack it well; nothing's ever been broken.

And when I recently bought a $300 antenna tuner that did not perform
as I had hoped, they took it back, minus 20% restocking.

Besides, they also put out a gorgeous catalog that's free.

The local guys, besides the sales tax there, they don't advertise
their prices on anything, and don't appear to keep anything in stock.
So why let them mail order stufff for me, and add on the state sales
tax? Doesn't make sense.

bob
k5qwg
Old June 8th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

So, other than the obvious need to minimize sales tax, what
contributes to your decision?

Motorola Spectra units filled the bill nicely. Durable, programmable,
reasonably inexpensive on the used market, simple to operate once
programmed....

Our local police are talking about getting all new radios "real soon
now", which means their old ones may become available.

But can we ordinary peons get the programming software?

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old June 9th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article , (known to
some as
) scribed...

So, other than the obvious need to minimize sales tax, what
contributes to your decision?

Motorola Spectra units filled the bill nicely. Durable, programmable,
reasonably inexpensive on the used market, simple to operate once
programmed....

Our local police are talking about getting all new radios "real soon
now", which means their old ones may become available.

But can we ordinary peons get the programming software?

For conventional Spectras? Heck, Motorola will sell it to anyone
willing to sign their Draconian software licensing agreement. Last I
looked, conventional Spectra software was down to about $175.

Keep in mind, though, it's not just the software. You also need a
RIB (Radio Interface Box -- anywhere from $25 to $100, depending on
where you get it and which one you get). Programming cables for the
Spectras are easy enough to make.

Worst case (shameless plug alert), there are guys like me who
specialize in conversion of such radios to amateur service, and have all
the tools necessary for programming and checkout. ;-)

Happy hunting.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)