Old September 30th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default online repeater directories

I needed to look up some repeater info today. So I went online and checked
a few sites that listed them.

They were ALL awful. They weren't any easier to use that a book, like the
directory the ARRL sells. There, you pick a band, pick a state, and then
try to guess what repeaters might be nearby based on town names you might
not know. I'm not expecting a book to be any better than that because it
isn't something that has a programmable interface. But I would expect a
web site to be better.

One of the sites, www.usrepeaters.com, did have the ability to sort the
data based on some other fields. But really, is there any value in
sorting them by callsign? I suppose there is some value in sorting them
by frequency if you are trying to figure out what repeater might be
coming in that you you only got part of the ID for. You could sort by
PL/CTCSS tone access. Does anyone need that?

I believe I could do a much better job making a repeater listing site
interface than ANY of the ones I have seen. But I don't have the data
to display, so it wouldn't do any good. And even with a few people
potentially submitting repeaters, no one would really see the benefits
better programming could do until the list is nearly complete. And who
would want to spend time submitting repeaters to a site that a lot way
away from being complete.

| first name lower case at ipal.net / |