Old November 24th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Just listen to CB if you want to know what ham radio will sound like.

We need to keep the CW requirement and increase it. We shouldn't let ham
radio get dumbed down again.

SC
Old November 24th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default crapthon goes on

Old November 24th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

More important is that Extras at least should have to prove they can
solder, troubleshoot, and use test equipment do determine if a radio
operator is or is not in compliance.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I couldn't resist. :-)

Exactly how does one use solder to determine if a radio operator is or
is not in compliance?

Made my day.

There is this thing called a comma. We have three things he

1. Solder.
2. Troubleshoot.
3. Use test equipment to determine if a radio operator is, or is not,
in compliance.

Three separate activities.

Old November 25th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Old November 25th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
We need to keep the CW requirement and increase it. We shouldn't let ham
radio get dumbed down again.

SC

We should have the examiners measure the size of prospective HAM's
dicks. That would get us back to the basics here that you've been
preaching about.

Old November 25th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:37:55 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

We need to keep the CW requirement and increase it. We shouldn't let ham
radio get dumbed down again.

SC

++++++++++
And we should just read your posts if we want to know what ham radio
will be like if irrelevancy is a required subject.
Old November 25th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Old November 28th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Joe Bloe wrote in :

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:37:55 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

We need to keep the CW requirement and increase it. We shouldn't let
ham radio get dumbed down again.

SC

And we should insist they learn Swahili, Tasmanian, and in all
honesty, speak in binary proficiently. . . Well, one has to learn how
to beat upon a railroad track with a rock for CODE, might as well take
in the more simple aspects as well, huh?

My computer does CODE better and faster than you can `Slow. . . So,
what does that make you then? A Slacker or just a stupid agitator?

There is NO NEED for anybody to learn CODE. Not unless they WANT
to. What the hell does CODE have to do with SSTV? Or Packet? OR
Phone? There, I gave you THREE aspects of communications via "HAM"
that harbors Absolutely NO use of LEARNING CODE in any way, form, or
shape. Can you truefuly offer me as many NEEDFULL aspects of HAM
Radio which demands the use of Code?

Absolutely NOT!

In that regard, your very "hobby" denounces Your insistence upon
CODE, as a requirement, as arcade and dusty as a dead rat's fart.

We are NOT living in the 1920's any more `Slow. . . It DOESN"T
MATTER ANY MORE if People can beat on a railroad track with a rock or
not. NO ONE HAD THE **** WE HAVE TODAY, THEN! Hells bells `Slow, I
said it before and I'll state it again. The Damn CELL PHONE is
Cheaper and BETTER at communication than any silly HAM station in the
world! And it doesn't take no bloody HAM license to use it, ether.
Just a simple bank account.. . No wait. . Not even that in some
cases. Just a wad of dollars in your grubby little fist will suffice,
and there's No waiting on Sun Spots ether!

Honestly Slow, its people like you who make me want to sell my radio
station for a 1911 colt. . . They don't do CODE ether, but its damn
good with Binary!

I know you're right, Requiring good operators will kill the service.

Hams just want to be appliance operators these days and they don't want
license exams that will interfere with them getting to those appliances
even though it means being less skilled. I don't see anyone modernizing
like everyone says is happening. They just get their licenses and grab a
microphone. What percentage of hams have a computer connected to a
radio? Probably less than 30%. Hams don't want to modernize. Guess we
just have live with inferior operators on the bands from here on out.
Then again, maybe hams shouldn't be required to be knowledgable or have
skills. Requiring skills and knowledge is too old skool. Everything must
be outcome based these days, even licensing. It ain't like we have to
help out in emergencies or anything. It's Quantity, not quality. We need
more hams even if they aren't skilled.

SC