Old September 2nd 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default ARRL hints it will push for more ham radio / internet fusion

Check out the editorial at
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2007/09/01/1/

The final paragraph:

As we work to understand and to meet today's
emergency communications needs we also must
think about the future. As Harold Kramer, WJ1B,
points out in his article on page 38, the
traditional role of the Amateur Radio
communicator no longer matches what the
emergency management official is looking for.
Replacing their missing telephone is no longer
enough. To do their jobs, they also need email
and possibly Web access. In the future, what
they're likely to want is for their own iPhone
(or equivalent) to work -- in other words,
for that missing piece of infrastructure
that we mentioned earlier to be restored.
Filling that need is within our capabilities
as radio amateurs, but it may take us in
new directions and into new partnerships.
Let's be open to the possibilities, and
alert to the opportunities.